Here is what we will be doing the week of March 20-24…
Reading and Writing – We will begin our animal research project! We will preview various nonfiction books about animals and choose one animal to research. After we become experts on our special animal, we will write and create our own nonfiction book to teach others what we learned.
Math – In math we will continue to work on addition and subtraction concepts and strategies when adding double digit numbers.
Science – Plants! What does a plant need in order to grow? How do we use plants? What are the parts of a plant? By the end of next week we will be able to share the answers to these questions and more!
Spelling – We will be working on the variant vowel /or/. Our spelling words are as follows:
fork, door, port, shore, fort, sport, score, wore, more, and chore
Have a wonderful week!
Here’s what’s happening the rest of the month…
February 17th – Black History ballet assembly
February 20th – 24th – Winter Break
How to help your child at home…
- If your child does not know all of his/her sight words, be sure to study these nightly. We have some amazing little readers in our class!
- Set aside 20 minutes every night for your child to read a book. We love RAZ Kids, but sitting down with a book helps your child build their reading stamina.
- Work on your math addition facts.
Thank you for all that you do!
Ask me about….
- Benjamin Franklin. We started learning about this American hero today.
- Race to 100. It was teacher against kids! You can ask your kiddos who won….
- We got a new list of spelling words from our new phonics program. The words for this week are:
Also, I have seen the black Memo journals at Walmart and Staples for only $0.50! If you are out and about and happen to see them, we could really use them in class.
Have a wonderful evening!
Please consider joining our PTA! PTA memberships are for parents, kids, and family members. It is only $5/person to join. It is a small donation that will do BIG things for our school!
All first graders in Cobb County will be taking the Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT) this week from Tuesday, September 13-Thursday, September 15th. Each testing session typically lasts 2 hours.
You can help your child be ready to do their best by doing the following:
- Make sure that they go to bed on time and get a good nights sleep.
- Serve them a healthy breakfast with lots of protein.
- Make sure that your child arrives on time-tests will start at 8:00.
- Send a healthy snack. We will have 10 minutes for snack, so please make sure that the snack is not messy and is easy to eat.
Ask me about…..
…our land form sculptures. We created mountains, plateaus, valleys, and plains out of play-dough. Thank you to Amanda Reeves for making all the dough for us!
…the game we played today in math. We are practicing decomposing our teen numbers into 10 and some more.
…our class name. We brainstormed a list of names for our class. Tomorrow we will vote!
There will not be a spelling list this week as we transition into our phonics program.
Also, a reminder that homework journals are due on Fridays. Please complete one activity from each subject.
Enjoy your day!
I’m so excited to have our blog up and running. Be sure to check in for updates and photos of the fun we are having in class!
Welcome to your brand new blog at Cobb Learning.
To get started, simply log in, edit or delete this post and check out all the other options available to you.
For assistance, visit our comprehensive support site, check out our Edublogs User Guide guide or stop by The Edublogs Forums to chat with other edubloggers.
You can also subscribe to our brilliant free publication, The Edublogger, which is jammed with helpful tips, ideas and more.