This week we will be learning….
Writing: We will be doing informational writing this week. We will be creating a brochure telling all about the different land forms!
Reading: We will be reading the book The Three Billy Goats Fluff and comparing and contrasting it to the original version – The Three Billy Goats Gruff
Phonics: We will be working on ou/ow patterns.
Math: We will continue learning about ten more/ten less. We will also work on comparing numbers-first exploring numbers using our place value blocks and then transferring that knowledge to using symbols (>,<,=) to compare double digit numbers *Remember to study your math facts every night. Go for fact fluency!
I hope that everyone had a fun and relaxing Winter Break!
This week we will be learning….
Writing: We will continue to focus on opinion writing. When writing an opinion piece, we are learning to start our paper with an opinion sentence, give reasons for our opinion, back up our reasons with examples, and write a strong concluding sentence.
Reading: We will be reading the book Just Going to the Dentist by Mercer Mayor. We will be working on the following comprehension strategies :
- Making predictions
- Character Analysis and Development
Phonics: It’s time to review some of our long /i/ patterns! Our focus words will be try, cry, fly, light, night, pie, tie, bike, bite, & tire
Math: Place value is the name of the game this week! We will be learning how to group and count double digit numbers. We will also be learning how to find ten more and ten less. *Remember to study your math facts every night. Go for fact fluency!
Content Areas: We will be discovering different types of landforms. Be sure to look for local landforms when you are out and about! Can you find Kennesaw Mountain? The Chattahoochee River? Stone Mountain?
Read Across America is this week! We will be celebrating reading and Dr. Seuss’ birthday with fun classroom activities including special guest readers from the KSU football team.
Pajama Day is this Friday, March 1st. Bring in a $1 donation to benefit the American Cancer Society.
Just a few updates as we head into the holiday break…
- Please check out the holiday magnets that were sent home last week. This is a great fundraiser for our school and they make wonderful gifts. Please remember to return the magnet if you do not wish to purchase it.
- You also received a pamphlet for the Holiday Market. Please read over this information and send your money in on Tuesday, December 11th. This will be our day to shop!
- Our musical “A Teddy Bear Christmas” is this week. The performance will be this Friday at NorthStar Church. Please arrive at 6:15. The performance will begin at 6:45.
What we are learning…
- Phonics – we will be reviewing CVCe words (like, kite, cape, cute, etc) and the sh/ch digraphs. No new words will be sent home until after the break.
- Reading & Writing -We will continue to work on nonfiction reading and writing. We have been practicing identifying the main idea and key details. Last week we learned all about Emperor penguins and this week we will be writing an All About book to teach others everything we now know about these fascinating animals.
- Math – We will be reviewing missing addend problems and balancing equations. We will also be digging into word problems. Please practice your math facts at home. I would love for the kids to fluently know their doubles facts (2+2, 3+3, 4+4, etc) and their Friends of Ten facts (0+10, 1+9, 2+8, 3+7, etc).
- Social Studies – We will study the contributions of Thomas Jefferson.
We are looking forward to a great week! Please check the Remind App for our Gingerbread House signup Genius.
We had a busy week! This Friday was the first day in weeks that we had a full class with no absences! It was wonderful to have everyone healthy and back at school!
Here’s what’s going on this week:
Cheeseburger Bobby’s PTSA night! 4-8pm
4 ½ week progress reports go home
What we’re learning….
Reading-Comparing and contrasting characters
Math– Place Value
Phonics– review vowel teams ea, ai, oa
A look ahead….
- Collections due (flyer will go home on Monday explaining more detail)
- Field Trip to Synchronicity Theater in Atlanta. We will be leaving around 9am and then returning around 1 and will be eating in the classroom. Don’t forget to send in a lunch unless you indicated that you would be purchasing one from school.
- Valentines and Valentine boxes are due today for exchanging! (No Party)
- Chick-fil-a meal for AI night $ is due.
- Art Integration Night! Join us for a great evening as we dive into the arts integration techniques that we use in the classroom! 5:30-7:00pm
February 19th – 23rd
- NO SCHOOL- February break
Parents, if you are out shopping we could really use some healthy snacks for children who forget to bring one. Some suggestions are goldfish crackers, saltines, granola bars, pretzels, cheerios (I will put into individual baggies) or similar. If they are individually wrapped, that helps a lot but if not, I have Ziploc bags here! I just really appreciate the help. J
This week’s homework, phonics and valentine list are uploaded to the blog.
Here is what we will be doing the week of March 20-24…
Reading and Writing – We will begin our animal research project! We will preview various nonfiction books about animals and choose one animal to research. After we become experts on our special animal, we will write and create our own nonfiction book to teach others what we learned.
Math – In math we will continue to work on addition and subtraction concepts and strategies when adding double digit numbers.
Science – Plants! What does a plant need in order to grow? How do we use plants? What are the parts of a plant? By the end of next week we will be able to share the answers to these questions and more!
Spelling – We will be working on the variant vowel /or/. Our spelling words are as follows:
fork, door, port, shore, fort, sport, score, wore, more, and chore
Have a wonderful week!
Here’s what’s happening the rest of the month…
February 17th – Black History ballet assembly
February 20th – 24th – Winter Break
How to help your child at home…
- If your child does not know all of his/her sight words, be sure to study these nightly. We have some amazing little readers in our class!
- Set aside 20 minutes every night for your child to read a book. We love RAZ Kids, but sitting down with a book helps your child build their reading stamina.
- Work on your math addition facts.
Thank you for all that you do!
Ask me about….
- Benjamin Franklin. We started learning about this American hero today.
- Race to 100. It was teacher against kids! You can ask your kiddos who won….
- We got a new list of spelling words from our new phonics program. The words for this week are:
Also, I have seen the black Memo journals at Walmart and Staples for only $0.50! If you are out and about and happen to see them, we could really use them in class.
Have a wonderful evening!
Please consider joining our PTA! PTA memberships are for parents, kids, and family members. It is only $5/person to join. It is a small donation that will do BIG things for our school!