The book fair will be held in the Media Center this week. Our class preview time is Monday from 1:15-1:35. If you would like to come shop with your student during the school day, check-in at the office and meet us there at that time. If you would like your student to shop on their own, please send money in an envelope labeled book fair any day this week. Mrs. Smith and I will assist them.
Congratulations to Vedika and Siddhant for their amazing entries to the school science fair last week. They were able to tell us what they learned and how they conducted their experiments. Check out the pictures on our Shutterfly account!
Thank you so much for volunteering to send in food items Friday morning for our Thanksgiving feast. Students will enjoy the feast from 1:15-2:00. Parents are welcome to check in at the office and take pictures of us in the classroom during the feast, as we will be dressed in pilgrim or native American attire.
This week the rocket scientists will be…
- Comparing objects using length, height, and weight
- Focusing on hearing short vowel sounds in CVC words (for ex.- hip)
- Retelling familiar stories, using punctuation to make character voices
- Learing to write like a scientist
- Sharing how our families give thanks while learning how Thanksgiving began
We would like to thank Mrs. Ramirez and the other parent volunteers who helped make our fall centers a fun learning experience on Tuesday! Please remember that there will be no school for students this Tuesday, November the 7th, and Scholastic Book orders should be placed by Friday the 10th.
This week, the rocket scientists will be…
- Comparing sets to find those that are more and equal
- Identifying and marking short vowel sounds in CVC words
- Publishing and sharing our personal stories
- Retelling familiar stories using more detail and transition words
- Learning about the first Thanksgiving
It was so wonderful to see all of the special men in our lives in our classroom on Friday morning. We would like to thank you all for being there, and all those who donated items to make this event special, including The Hope Depot for the tool box kits we were able to build together!
This week we will be…
- Completing our unit on counting collections using different strategies
- Meeting in reading strategy groups
- Writing across pages to tell longer personal stories
- Learning about the fall season and enjoying special fall centers on Tuesday
- Enjoying a visit from “Nana Nature” during our in-house field trip on Friday
- Practicing for our part in a special performance for Veterans on Nov. 10th
All Pro Dads will have their meeting in the cafeteria on Friday at 7:00. This is for dads and students of all grades at East Side.
Donuts for Dudes is THIS Friday! Come have a donut with your little one from 8:30-9:15. We will be sending a pass home in your child’s folder early this week. Use it to come to our room without going through the check-in process Friday morning.
This week will be…
- Counting Collections using different strategies
- Tapping out words with open and closed syllables
- Re-reading to learn more
- Learning that as a writer, “When we are done, we have just begun!”
- Pumpkins are amazing
Please remember that students will be released early every day this week for conferences. I look forward to seeing everyone and sharing with you all of the wonderful things the students have learned.
*Please note that Thursday will be an early release day for students this week!
This week the rocket scientists will be:
- Creating 3-D shape sculptures
- Reading with a partner to improve reading skills
- Using personal writing folders during writing workshop
- Tapping out words with open and closed syllables
- Discovering amazing facts about BATS
On another note, we would like to thank those who volunteered during center time and the field trip to the Art Barn last week! It was a great week, and students demonstrated their reputation for great behavior and a thirst for knowledge. We are so proud of them! Check out the pictures on our Shutterfly account!
We will be traveling to the Art Barn for a field trip tomorrow. Please make sure your child is wearing comfortable shoes, suitable for the outdoors. Field trip shirts are already at school and students will put them on over the shirt they wear in the morning. We will eat our snack in the morning before we leave. If your child is bringing a lunch from home, it must be packed in disposable containers. Thanks, it’s going to be a fun-filled day!
Be on the look out for an email from me that contains a link to our conference sign up genius page. Conference week is October 16-20th. Make sure to sign up by this Friday!
If you did not receive an email, please send me an email to let me know as soon as possible!
I hope everyone has had a wonderful time with family over the fall break!
This week in our class we will be:
- Learning about spiders during our literacy centers
- Showing what we know about 2-D and 3-D shapes
- Publishing our “Mommy and Baby animals” books
- Continuing our launch of Reading Workshop, practicing good reading habits and increasing our stamina for reading
Please read with your child each night and initial the log in their reading folder each night, then, return the folder and book the next day.