Next week, Oct 23th-27th, Blackwell will celebrate No Place for Hate. We look forward to this week as a time for students to remember that at Blackwell, we care about BEING KIND.
There is a theme for each day and students may dress up according to the day’s theme. A yellow flyer went home this week to help explain it. It is as follows:
MONDAY: ‘No Place For Hate’ Kick off Day:
- Focus: We will hand out ‘No Place for Hate’ stickers (and 5th graders will get cool bracelets). Today is the day students sign NPFH Promise.
- You can wear: Students & staff can wear No Place for Hate colors of black and yellow of a No Place for Hate shirt to show our commitment to being a safe place to learn.
TUESDAY: We Are All Same, We are All Different
- Focus: In our diverse world we all have things that make us unique and things that we have in common. We will focus on how we are all part of different houses (Spike, Max, Blackwell and Bulldog), but we are all part of the Blackwell Elementary family.
- You can wear: You can wear you “house” colors or a Blackwell shirt. Reminder of house colors: Spike=Yellow/Gold Max=Purple Blackwell=Blue Bulldog= Black/Silver
WEDNESDAY: Be Someone’s Hero Day:
- Focus: Being someone’s hero means that you stand up for them when they need help. We’ll focus on how we can improve being an upstanding member of our community.
- You can wear: You can dress up as Super Hero or as a Community Helper Hero.
THURSDAY: It’s a “Wonder”ful Day #choosekind
- Focus: The movie “Wonder” is coming out soon. The theme of the movie is acceptance and kindness, so that’s our focus for the day. Mrs. Shackleford will be reading the children’s book called “We are all Wonders” by RJ Palacio to emphasize the need for tolerance in our world and in our school.
- You can wear: Wear a shirt with a positive message today. If you don’t have one, you can make a sticker or sign with a message reflecting kindness and acceptance.
Friday: Diversity Day
- Focus: Each student at Blackwell comes from a unique culture and heritage. We will be celebrating all of the differences that make our community unique. Each class will be celebrating this day with different activities and opportunities to share.
- You can bring: Each classroom teacher might have a different way to celebrate diversity day. Students can bring something special they want to share about their heritage/culture. This can be a photo of a family tradition or a CD of music special to your family.
Fall is Here!!
Fall Festival is coming October 6th. It is always a fun, family event filled with games, food, auctions, dancing, and a petting zoo! It is held in the bus parking lot at school from 4:30-7:30. Extra parking is available in the Walmart shopping center next to our school. Hope you see you there!!!
Early Release Days
We have an early release day on Thursday, Oct 12th. Students will be released at 12:20. Please be at the bus stop and car rider line two hours early that day. ASP will begin immediately after dismissal. Teachers will have the opportunity to attend professional learning sessions.
Monday-Friday, October 16th-20th is our annual conference week. This is your opportunity to meet with your child’s teacher to discuss his/her progress so far this year. Teachers will be sending emails to all parents when we return from fall break about how to use SignUp Genius to sign up for your conference. Students will also be released two hours early each day this week.
We plan to go on a field trip on September 21st to The Art Barn. This will enrich our study about animals and other standards that we have in kindergarten. It will be $15.50 for your child. If you would like to chaperone, we would love to have you. The cost will be $11.50 and you will need to provide your own transportation (follow our bus or meet us there). We plan to eat lunch there. If your child is buying a school lunch, we will put them in a cooler on the morning of the field trip. If your child is bringing their lunch from home, remember that everything needs to be disposable…no reusable containers or lunch boxes. Everything will be thrown away after lunch that day. We are looking forward to a wonderful day!
We are excited about the progress that each child is making! Remember to read to your child daily! We are enjoying getting to know your child better!
The fall pictures will be taken in Thursday, August 24th. Each student will have his/her picture for the yearbook. You may also choose to order a packet of pictures. The order forms will come home in your child’s folder this week.
Welcome to Kindergarten! We are off to a wonderful start! Your child is now an official Bulldog and is already growing by leaps and bounds. This year will pass quickly; yet, it is a very important year in the life of your child. We want to build a strong foundation that will help your child become a lifelong learner.
A website that is a valuable resource to you is: http://gkidsreadinesscheck.gadoe.org/
This website from the Georgia Department of Education has more information on GKIDS, which is our standardized test in kindergarten. Check it out to find some resources that could help you help your child.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions. We want to keep the lines of communication open throughout the coming year.
We are excited you’re here!