As technology marches forward to bigger and better innovations, some things get left behind. While many iPads will soon move to iOS 13, some will remain forever stuck on the 9.3.5 or 10.3.3 iOS. Do not despair. Your old iPad still has a purpose. There are things they can do. Below are some ideas and apps that work on older iPads.
Look Up or Research Station
- Merriam-Webster Dictionary – Get America’s most useful and respected dictionary. It offers a Word of the Day feature that includes definition, auditory pronunciation, examples, and the word’s origin. Requires iOS 9.0 or later
- Dictionary.com: English Words – This dictionary app also contains a thesaurus, word of the day quizzes, and monthly articles that delve into the complexities of the English Language. Requires iOS 8.0 or later
- The Congressional Record – The Congressional Record app is presented by the Library of Congress and includes daily records of proceedings and debates in the Senate and House. Requires iOS 9.1 or later
Digital Book Station
- Aesop for Children – Created by the Library of Congress, the Aesop for Children interactive book is designed to be enjoyed by readers of any age. The book contains over 140 classic fables accompanied by beautiful illustrations and interactive animations. Requires iOS 9.1 or later
- Epic! – Kids’ Books and Videos – The Epic! library contains everything from picture books to chapter books, early readers, audiobooks, graphic novels, nonfiction titles, educational books, videos, and more. It is free for teachers but will require you to create an account. Requires iOS 9.3 or later