My dearest Kindergarten families,
Sincere apologies on our blog! The 2 weeks leading up to fall break were very busy! With that being said, we are ending the first quarter this Friday! Conferences will begin the week of October 16th! I am soo excited to share all of the growth that is happening in our Kindergarten family! Be on the look out for an email on Monday October 9, 2017! I will be sending out a link to sign up with the website “sign up genius”! You will be able to schedule your conference with me through this website.
Welcome the first week of October! We would love to have some family members join us and share a favorite story! We have already had an amazing Grandma (and former 1st grade teacher) share a story! Her grandson was beaming with pride! Feel free to email or text and we can set up time and day!
We will also have our first official get together! Save the date if possible for October 31, 2017! We will be inviting parents in for Fall Centers! This is a perfect time to get to know the other amazing families that are part your Kindergarten family! More information will be coming your way soon!
I hope to see everyone at Fall festival on Friday! It is a beautiful sight to see the community that makes up Frey! It is a fun family night that I look forward to every year! A special “thank you” to all the families that donated time and items to make our fall festival basket and the goodies that make the night special!
Important Dates to remember:
Oct 6 Fall Festival 6-8:30
Oct 9 Columbus Day Rotations (your kindergartner will travel as a class to all five Kindergarten classrooms! Each teacher will be teaching a lesson about Christopher Columbus)
Oct 10 Picture retake or make up day
Oct 12 Early Release day
Oct 13 House celebration (The house with the most points will win a celebration in the cafeteria!)
Oct 16-20 Conference Week (Early dismissal all week)–Red Ribbon Week–Book Fair in Learning Commons–we will also be collecting can goods this week!
October 31 Fall Centers (more info to come) Your child may dress up as a character for a $5 donation to Relay for Life Charity
In our classroom:
letters: t,b f,n,m, i,u,e,r,p,j c,o,a,g,d,s
sight words: me, to, it, up, on, go, I, a, is, at, look, my, red, blue, yellow,black, green, purple, pink orange, and, the
rhyming words, antonyms,
- Read a book to learn about the world, beginning with the cover.
- Reader’s read a book from cover to cover
- Directionality through a book, a page, a line, a word, using return sweep
- Readers read to themselves and with others (private reading/ partner reading)
- Readers mark pages that surprise them
- Readers reread and reread to think
- Readers learn from words in books (picture support and words)
- Readers sound lik teacher when they read learn about the world books
- Readers can read stories they have heard a zillion times
- Readers work hard to make the words they read match the page they are reading
- Writers know that “when we are done, we have just begun.”
- Continuing rituals and routines and tools of writer’s workshop
- Carrying on Independently as writers
- Writers call to mind what they want to say, then put that onto the page
- Stretching out words to write them
- Elkonin Boxes
- Adding labels to pictures
- Writing even hard to write ideas
- turning pieces into books
- Describing objects using names of shapes
- Naming and studying 2 and 3-D shapes
- Analyzing and comparing 2 and 3-D shapes
- Modeling shapes
- Composing simple shapes
- Classifying objects
- Maps and Globes
- United States Flag
- Georgia Flag
- Needs and wants
- Goods and services
- Good citizenship
- Pledge of Allegiance