Welcome 2018! As much as I treasure my time with my own family…..what an honest burst of happiness to see all of your little ones come through my door yesterday morning! We shared stories of lost teeth, some new wiggly ones and all of the holiday magic that occurred over the break!
Report Cards are in folders! I will send home an updated copy of your child’s sight word list next week! As always, if you would like to meet to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you have, please contact me at your convenience!
Important Dates to remember:
January 5 Show your team spirit!! wear the colors of your team to show your spirit.
January 5 Report Cards come home
January 11 Wellstar nurses visit our classroom to teach nutrition. The title of this lesson “Eat it”
January 15 Martin Luther King Jr. Day–NO SCHOOL
January 19 Science Fair Projects due (If you need additional information, head to the PTSA link on Frey’s webpage for all the details)
January 23 2nd grade students have a singing performance
January 26 For a $1donation your child may wear Crazy socks to school. All proceeds benefit Relay for Life
January 30 Zaxby’s spirit night
This week and next week in the classroom:
- Winter break narrative writing, then students will act out their story in charades for everyone to guess.
- What writers do if a story is confusing to the readers or seems to be missing important information
Starting quarter 3 we will learn about informational writing. We will begin writing “how to books”
Mini lessons include
- Writers study the kind of writing they plan to make
- writers use what they already know know: touching and telling the steps across the pages
- Writers become readers, Asking, “Can I follow this?”
- Writers answer a partners questions
- Writers label their diagrams to teach even more information
Night and Day big book and culmination project
Quarter 3 roll up your sleaves–we are investigating bigger books, bigger reading muscles!
- Tackling more challenging books
- Readers use patterns to help them read every page
- Readers figure out the changing words in a pattern
- Readers check their reading
- Readers use all of their strategies to read books
Sight words we are working on in the classroom:
red, orange, yellow, green, blue, pink, purple, white, black, brown, help, we, are, I, like, me, my, play, the, you, is, yes, no, can, he, has, one, or, it, at, this, see, to, by, in, will, for, here, up, be, said, and, go, big, come
We will be studying this quarter addition and subtraction within 5. Some concepts we will be on this quarter include:
- Understand addition as putting together and adding to, and understand subtraction is taking apart and taking from.
- Students will model simple joining and separating situations with sets of objects.
- Demonstrate the understanding of how objects can be joined (addition) and separated (subtraction) by representing addition and subtraction situations in various ways
- Solve problems presented in a story format using objects or drawings to determine the solution.
- Understand that a set of (5) objects can be decomposed-broken into two sets (3 and 2) or (4 and 1) and still be the same total amount (5)
- Count to 100 by 1’s and 10’s
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.