PS: It’s been on the Class Notebook for a week. Quiz Friday.
- Choosing one of the short stories we read in Unit 2, answer 3 of the discussion questions posted on Turnitin.com. You should answer each question completely, citing textual examples where appropriate.
- Unit 2 Embedded Assessment – Narrative Short Story
- Finish your brainstorming/proposal sheets, outlining your potential story structure
- Check off your story proposals with Mr. Clements
- Begin your Rough Draft (Due Monday for Peer Feedback!)
- The Seven Basic Plots:
- Overcoming the Monster: Beowulf, Star Wars
- Rags to Riches: Cinderella, Aladdin, Emperor’s New Groove
- The Quest: The Odyssey, Lord of the Rings
- Voyage and Return: Ramayana, Alice in Wonderland, The Spongebob Squarepants Movie
- Comedy: A Midsummer Night’s Dream
- Tragedy: Macbeth, Romeo and Juliet
- Rebirth: Beauty and the Beast, A Christmas Carol
Potential Story Starters:
- Tell the story of a scar, whether a physical scar or emotional one.
- Your character’s relationship ends.
- Your character’s deepest fear is holding his or her relationship OR career back.
- A character living in poverty comes into an unexpected fortune.
- A character unexpectedly bumps into his or her soulmate, literally. (Meetcute)
- Your character is on a journey. However, they are interrupted by a natural disaster OR an accident.
- Your character runs into the path of a monster.
- A child’s imaginary friend needs to convince them he’s real so he doesn’t disappear.
- An innocent tweet about your breakfast spirals out of control, when a police squad arrests you for treason…
- It was the 25th of May when the clocks stopped. They needed more time.
- A campfire, a scream, and a small lie that gets bigger and bigger
- An iPhone, a glove and a half eaten sandwich…
- The first day of school, a love note, and a recipe with a significant mistake…
- There’s been a box in the middle of the city for as long as you can remember. No one ever talks about it and you’re beginning to wonder what it’s there for.
- Everyone always feared the day that the sun would go out, but no one was prepared for the night the moon disappeared…
- There is a gate in the middle of an empty field, with a sign saying ‘please close the gate behind you’. One day, you walk past and see the gate has been left open -what is on the other side of the gate?