Skip to content
Updated for Fall 2018
You may do the following
- You may cut, copy, and paste MIDI notes and regions onto new tracks with different instruments.
- You may add, delete, or change notes and rhythms.
- You may use any loop that seems appropriate for your style. Apple Loops are organized by genre and type!
- You may extend the piece to add an intro, outro, drum break, etc
- You may record yourself playing a MIDI controller on an existing or new track.
- You may use an Automatic Drummer Track or create your own drum beat.
- You may use automation to control effects.
You MUST do the following
- You must identify a song, artist, genre, or style of music that you are attempting to fuse with your chosen MIDI file. You need to be able to say something similar to the following.
- “I am fusing the music of Bach and the music of Coldplay.”
- “I am fusing classical music and hip hop music.”
- “I am fusing the music of Imagine Dragons with the music of Tchaikovsky.”
- “I am fusing classical music with classic rock.”
- You must create a musical fusion between the music of Bach, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Brahms, etc and the modern music that you chose above
- You must use a minimum of 4 MIDI tracks with software instrument
- You must use a minimum of 1 audio track with audio loops
- Your creation must be between 90 and 120 seconds long.
- Your creation must have a logical beginning, middle, and end.
- You must use the automation feature to control volume in a meaningful way on at least 2 tracks
- You must create a compelling and coherent piece of music
- Compelling means that the listener will want or need to listen to your creation because it is interesting, fun, or cool
- Coherent means that your creation makes musical sense.
- You must correctly balance the volume of all tracks and the volume of the master track.
- Be careful that you don’t have too much happening at the same time: too many loops, too many drums, too many instruments
- Be careful that all of your tracks line up precisely and play at the correct time. Everything should typically start and stop on a measure line.
- Be careful with loops that may not match the style of the music you are creating.
- Be careful to choose a tempo that is appropriate for your chosen style of musical fusion (hip hop, rock, pop, EDM, dance, etc).