Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl 2019-20
The Reading Bowl is a competition between schools using the books that are the nominees for the current year’s Georgia Children’s Book Award. The two teams from each level (elementary, middle, and high school) who win the Cobb County competition move to compete at district, region, and state competitions. Ten students may be on the roster.
The Cobb County competition day is . . . projected to be held January 2020.
Learn about the history and purpose of, as well as rules for, HRRB: Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl
And the books are . . . 2019-20 Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl Books
If you are interested in becoming part of Durham Middle School’s Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl team, see Media Specialist Mrs. Baker for all the details, and start reading the books from the above list.
HRRB team members are required to write 20-25 questions for each book they read utilizing the following format (see below). Completed questions will be uploaded to Office 365. (Mrs. Baker will guide you through this process.)
4 EASY STEPS TO WRITING HRRB QUESTIONS:
- Divide your book’s pages by the number of questions you plan to write. Example: If your book is 120 pages and you plan to submit 20 questions, 120/20 = 6, so for every 6 pages you will write a question.
- Base questions upon important, concrete and factual information NOT Yes/No or True/False.
In the book Fuzzy Mud, what is the name of the private school Tamaya attends?
- Woodridge Academy, hb. pg. 1
- Start each question, “In the book…” and put the answer, whether the book is hardback (hb) or paperback (pb), and the page number where you found it after each question.
- Save questions in Office 365 Word documents. Mrs. Baker will direct you regarding submission once questions have been approved.
NOTE: Each approved question earns 2 points; final points will determine who attends the Cobb county competition on January 19th.