In order for our Helen Ruffin Reading Team to make for the 2017-18 school year, we will be looking for at least 30 interested students. An informational meeting is planned for Thursday, August 17th at 8:15 a.m. in the Durham Media Center. Interested students should attend, and parents are also welcome but are not required to attend. Until that time, check out this year’s books, and start reading!
Durham Middle School’s Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl Team
2017-18 Edmodo Account Coming this Fall!
ATTENTION! LOG INTO EDMODO FOR ACCESS TO PRACTICE QUESTIONS! See Mrs. Baker for the code.
*Be sure your parent has approved your use of Edmodo via their signature on the permission form from Mrs. Baker.
The Reading Bowl is a competition between schools using the books that are the nominees for this year’s Georgia Children’s Book Award. The two teams from each level (elementary, middle, and high school) who win the Cobb County competition will then go on to compete at district, region, and state competitions. Only ten students may be on the roster.
The Cobb County competition day is Saturday, January 13, 2018. Place is TBA.
Learn about the history and purpose of, as well as rules for, HRRB: Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl
And the books are . . .
Book Reviews features a brief summary of each title. (Log in with via your Office 365 account to view.)
Here’s what you need to get started: 2017-18 Letter Coming Soon!
HRRB team members should write 20-25 questions for each book they read utilizing the following format (see below) and are required to submit questions to Edmodo.
4 EASY STEPS TO WRITING HRRB QUESTIONS:
- Divide your book’s pages by the number of questions you plan to write. Example: If your book is 120 pages and you plan to submit 20 questions, 120/20 = 6, so for every 6 pages you will write a question.
- Base questions upon important, concrete and factual information NOT Yes/No or True/False.
In the book Fuzzy Mud, what is the name of the private school Tamaya attends?
- Woodridge Academy, hb. pg. 1
- Start each question, “In the book…” and put the answer, whether the book is hardback (hb) or paperback (pb), and the page number where you found it after each question.
- Save questions in Word documents. Mrs. Baker will direct you regarding submission once questions have been approved.
NOTE: Each approved question earns 2 points; final points will determine who attends the Cobb county competition on January 13th.