Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl 2018-19
The Reading Bowl is a competition between schools using the books that are the nominees for this year’s Georgia Children’s Book Award. The two teams from each level (elementary, middle, and high school) who win the Cobb County competition will then go on to compete at district, region, and state competitions. Only ten students may be on the roster.
The Cobb County competition day is
Saturday, January 19, 2019
Kell High School
4770 Lee Waters Road
Learn about the history and purpose of, as well as rules for, HRRB: Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl
And the books are . . .
Here’s what you need to get started: HRRB Durham Intro Letter Fall 2018
HRRB team members should write 20-25 questions for each book they read utilizing the following format (see below) and are required to submit questions to Edmodo.
4 EASY STEPS TO WRITING HRRB QUESTIONS:
- Divide your book’s pages by the number of questions you plan to write. Example: If your book is 120 pages and you plan to submit 20 questions, 120/20 = 6, so for every 6 pages you will write a question.
- Base questions upon important, concrete and factual information NOT Yes/No or True/False.
In the book Fuzzy Mud, what is the name of the private school Tamaya attends?
- Woodridge Academy, hb. pg. 1
- Start each question, “In the book…” and put the answer, whether the book is hardback (hb) or paperback (pb), and the page number where you found it after each question.
- Save questions in Word documents. Mrs. Baker will direct you regarding submission once questions have been approved.
NOTE: Each approved question earns 2 points; final points will determine who attends the Cobb county competition on January 19th.
Included with the questions, should be a comprehensive list of characters and settings.
Here’s the schedule for competition day January 19th:
1:00 Volunteer Check-In *Library Learning Commons (All-Day – please check back in – and Afternoon-Only Volunteers)
1:15-2:00 Volunteer Training
1:15 – 1:45 Coach/Team Check-in
1:45 Teams assemble for parade
*2 per team
2:00 Welcome & Parade of Teams
2:15 Opening Ceremonies
2:30 Competition Begins
Good Luck Wildcat Readers!