Counselor: Dr. Gretchen R. Kea (Grades: 1st, 3rd, 4th, & 5th)
Part-Time Counselor: Mrs. Patricia R. Jackson (Grades: K & 2nd)
The mission of the Austell Elementary School Counseling Program is to establish a safe and positive environment in which students will excel in the areas of academic, career and personal/social development. Austell Elementary School will work in partnership with the parents and community in order for the students to become successful learners and productive citizens. Austell Elementary staff and students are responsible for our learning and actions. We will treat others as we would like to be treated.
The counselor at Austell Elementary believes:
* All students should be provided with a quality comprehensive counseling program in a safe and nuturing environment.
* All students have the right to a counselor who advocates for the students’ safety, rights, needs and success.
* The counselor will participate in professional development in order to maintain current knowledge.
* The counselor will work together with families, communities and staff in order to provide student support and success.
* The counselor will adhere to ethical standards in the delivery of the school counseling program.
Individual Counseling-One on one counseling provided for the students with signed permission from the parent/guardian. Students may be referred by parents, teachers, or administration.
Small Group Counseling-In order for students to participate in small group counseling, signed parent/guardian permission must be provided to the the counselor. Small group topics may include: Divorce, Feelings, Anger Management, Self-Esteem, Loss, Friendship and Behavior Management.
Classroom Guidance- As part of the Austell Elementary School Counseling Program, all students receive classroom guidance for 30 minutes, every other week. Topics are aligned with the National ASCA model and within the three critical area domains:
Academic Development-Assisting students with the aquistion of attitudes, knowledge and skills which contribute to effective learning.
Career Development-Providing activities which allow students to investigate the world of work.
Personal and Social Development-Working with students to encourage responsible behavior, planning and goal setting and develop the ability to deal with group pressure, resolve conflicts and interact positively with others.