Updated July 19, 2017
I have exciting news! I won a collection of YALSA’s Top 10 Teen Book Nominees! AWESOME! These books will be added to the new YA collection. Read about it HERE: http://www.ala.org/news/member-news/2017/06/recipients-2017-teens-top-ten-book-giveaway-announced
YALSA is the Young Adult Library Services Association for which I am a professional member.
“The Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA) is a national association of librarians, library workers, and advocates whose mission is to expand and strengthen library services for teens, aged 12–18. Through its member driven advocacy, research, and professional development initiatives, YALSA builds the capacity of libraries and librarians to engage, serve, and empower teens. YALSA is a subspecialty of the American Library Association. Visit www.ala.org/yalsa to learn more.”-The Future of Library Services for and with Teens: A Call to Action
For further information: http://www.ala.org/yalsa/guidelines
YALSA Top 10 Teen Book Nominees
This year’s list of nominees features 26 titles that were published between Jan. 1, 2016 and Dec. 31, 2016. The nominees are as follows, and will be included in the YA collection:
- Black, Jenna. Nightstruck.
- Bosworth, Jennifer. The Killing Jar. Farrar, Strauss, & Giroux.
- Bracken, Alexandra. Passenger. Disney-Hyperion.
- Braswell, Liz. Once Upon a Dream. Disney Press.
- Buxbaum, Julie. Tell Me Three Things. Random House.
- Clare, Cassandra. Lady Midnight. Margaret K. McElderry.
- Dennard, Susan. Truthwitch. Tor Teen.
- Dinan, Kurt. Don’t Get Caught. Sourcebooks Fire.
- Federle, Tim. The Great American Whatever. Simon & Schuster.
- Freedman, Russell. We Will Not Be Silent. Clarion Books.
- Glasgow, Kathleen. Girl in Pieces. Delacorte Press.
- Gout, Leopoldo. Genius: The Game. Feiwel & Friends.
- Hamilton, Alwyn. Rebel of the Sands. Viking Books.
- Kincaid, S. J. The Diabolic. Simon & Schuster.
- Landers, Melissa. Starflight. Disney-Hyperion.
- Martin, Emily. The Year We Fell Apart. Simon & Schuster.
- McIntosh, Will. Burning Midnight. Random House.
- Meyer, Marissa. Heartless. Feiwel & Friends.
- Mills, Wendy. All We Have Left. Bloomsbury.
- Nijkamp, Marieke. This is Where It Ends. Sourcebooks Fire.
- Russo, Meredith. If I Was Your Girl. Flatiron Books.
- Shusterman, Neal. Scythe. Simon & Schuster.
- Welch, Jenna Evans. Love & Gelato. Simon & Schuster.
- West, Kasie. P.S. I Like You. Scholastic.
- Williamson, Lisa. The Art of Being Normal. Farrar, Strauss, & Giroux.
- Yoon, Nicola. The Sun is Also a Star. Delacorte Press.
Updated March 26, 2017
Young Adult (YA) literature is written and published for ages 12 and up, and typically covers contemporary topics via realistic fiction. These books often address young adult problems, issues, and life circumstances. (YALSA, 2017). To read further about YA through YALSA, click on this link: The Value of Young Adult Literature
These books are being introduced into the Griffin Middle School collection to address student requests for high level interest books. High-level interest books increase student reading, which in turn increases academic performance.
YA Book Check-out Process
YA books will be shelved in their own section near the circulation desk. Books will be clearly labeled “YA”. To adhere to the Intellectual Freedom Act, all students have access to YA books.
Below are YA authors who are 2017-2018 Georgia Peach Book Award nominees. Please note that not all books written by a specific author will fall under YA.
2017-2018 Georgia Peach Book Award YA Author Nominees
|All American Boys||Jason Reynolds and Brendan Kiely||Realistic|
|Anatomical Shape of a Heart, The||Jenn Bennett||Realistic, Romance|
|Code of Honor||Alan Gratz||Realistic|
|Dan Versus Nature||Don Calame||Humor|
|Darkest Corners, The||Kara Thomas||Mystery/Thriller|
|Dumplin’||Julie Murphy||Realistic, Romance|
|First Time She Drowned, The||Kerry Kletter||Realistic, Mental Health|
|Girl In Pieces||Kathleen Glasgow||Realistic|
|Girl Mans Up||M-E Girard||Realistic, LGBTQIA|
|Holding Smoke||Elle Cosimano||Mystery, Fantasy|
|Illuminae||Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff||Fantasy|
|Labyrinth Lost||Zoraida Cordova||Fantasy|
|My Lady Jane||Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, Jodi Meadows||Historical, Humor, Romance|
|Scarlett Epstein Hates it Here||Anna Breslaw||Realistic|
|Six of Crows||Leigh Bardugo||Fantasy|
|This Savage Song||Victoria Schwab||Fantasy|
|True Letter from a Fictional Life||Kenneth Logan||Realistic, LGBTQIA|
|We Are the Ants||Shaun David Hutchinson||Sci-Fi, LGBTQIA|
|When We Collided||Emery Lord||Romance|
|Wolf by Wolf||Ryan Graudin||Historical (alternate history), Fantasy|