In an effort to better meet the needs of students, I am adjusting our routines for morning work and homework. Beginning this week, I will be including a 4-page spiral review packet with math homework. We had previously been completing this review each morning, prior to announcements, but the time to review and allow students to ask questions about misconceptions began to cut into our instructional time for current math standards.
- Students will complete one page of the review packet each night as part of homework. (Monday – Thursday)
- Each morning, before announcements begin at 7:50, students will check their homework answers.
- When checking answers, students have been instructed not to erase any incorrect answers on the right-side answer table, but to instead make corrections where they originally solved the problem. I will be looking for misconception patterns in their incorrect answers, as well as for how corrections were made.
- A scratch sheet, sectioned off for each day, will be included with the packet, in case more room is needed to show work.
- All computation or model drawings necessary to solve *must* be shown on either the scratch sheet or the actual homework page.
- If a question is missed, and the correction is not obvious, students are to come to me to ask for a review during the morning work time. We are calling this our “Math Study Hall.”
- The review packets should be studied throughout the week, as time allows. We will have a quick 5-question “checkup” on Fridays, unless there is a conflict, such as ITBS testing this week.
There will also be a short, two – five question math assignment Monday through Thursday that will correlate directly to our classwork for that day. Students are to turn this in to me at the beginning of math class each day. I will use this to check for conceptual understanding.
The entirety of math homework should take approximately 30 minutes to complete. If your child is requiring more time, or is struggling with any part of the homework, please let me know.
Welcome to our classroom blog! This is the place to go to find out all of the incredible things we will be up to in 5th Grade. On the right side of the blog, there are pages with much information about our classroom. Some pages are under construction, but will be completed soon, so be sure to check back often. My plan is to update the blog at the beginning and middle of each month. I will also be communicating with you through a weekly email blast that will come through our Class Dojo account. More information will be coming home to you about Class Dojo in the second week’s Thursday folder. Speaking of Thursday Folders, NES will continue, as in the past, with the most important information from the school coming home each Thursday. I’m looking forward to meeting many of you at Meet ‘n Greet tomorrow, July 30, from either 10:30-12:00 (A-K) or 1:30-3:00 (L-Z). I also look forward to seeing you again on Thursday, Aug. 9 at Open House.