We had a great week. We were busy but worked hard to get it all done! Our trip to the Tellus Museum was awesome! Thank you to all who were able to join us. The kids had a blast! We ended the week by watching our book buddies perform their annual First Thanksgiving program. We also did a cool Thanksgiving Day puppeteer project with Mrs. Field’s class based on the informational text Balloons on Broadway. Take a look at what we learned about this week:
Reading Workshop: We are still working on our Reading to Learn unit. Mini lessons included:
- Readers lift the level of student talk – we learn to talk well about texts bu thinking strongly about texts)
- Readers note the qualities of great conversations
- Readers of non-fiction texts use their knowledge of how a story goes to organize understanding of a text
- Readers note key story elements of a biography
Writing Workshop: Students continued to write their informational texts on expert topics. Mini lessons included:
- Writers think about how connecting chapter sis like paper chains
- Writers make sure they interest their readers by including facts and ideas
- Writers don’t just write information from their brains they research for the perfect fact or example
Word Work: We learned the FLOSS (FLSZ) rule. when a word has a short vowel and ends in f, l, s, or z you double the consonant.
Social Studies – We continued to learn about the exploration of Christopher Columbus and started to study Henry Hudson and his exploration. Henry Hudson discovered water passages such as the Henry Hudson River and Hudson Bay.
Math – We learned different strategies for multiples of 10. Students learned to use place value, using repeated addition. We will continue with multiples of 10 in word problems after the break.
I wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving holiday with your families. I am so very thankful have such wonderful students and families to work with. Enjoy the break!