There are nearly 2 million books, videos, and other items available from Cobb’s library media centers. In order for students and staff to successfully search for and locate the items they need, all those library media materials must be represented in the catalog database with information that is accurate, complete, and consistent. Destiny Library Manager utilizes a centralized, union catalog, along with a number of other features that help ensure that cataloging data is well-maintained and useful to patrons. However, maintaining a quality catalog database requires that library media specialists consistently follow the guidelines and instructions established by the district Library Media Education department.
The information and instructions below are specific to Cobb’s implementation of Destiny Library Manager. For general information and instructions about cataloging in Destiny, consult the online help features in the Destiny system.
- Destiny may only be used to catalog items that satisfy the Definition of Library Media Materials.
- Library media specialists are expected to purchase cataloging records along with the books, videos, and other items they purchase whenever possible.
- Any MARC records imported into Destiny should comply with the District Standard Cataloging & Processing Specifications. Library media specialists should provide a copy of these specifications when establishing an account with a new vendor.
- Library media specialists must follow the guidelines on this site when adding items to the catalog manually.
- All items added to the catalog must be assigned a barcode number. See the specifications and instructions for allocating and assigning barcode numbers for more information.
- Problems with MARC records are to be reported to the Library Media Education Department.
Title Records vs. Copy Information: How item information is stored in a centralized catalog and how this impacts cataloging tasks for CCSD library media specialists.
District Title Details School Example
Destiny District Diagram
CCSD Cataloging Instructions
Importing MARC Records into Destiny
Manually Adding Titles
Adding Copies to District Equipment Records
Cataloging Donated Items
Catalog Maintenance and Clean Up
Deleting Items from the Destiny Catalog
Local School Identifiers
Destiny Brief Record
CCSD Cataloging Standards and Policies
Definition of Library Media Materials: What should and should not be cataloged in Destiny
District Standard Cataloging & Processing Specifications: Required formatting for vendor MARC records and general info for library media specialists
Barcode Symbology Information
Barcodes and Barcode Tracking
Barcode Tracking Chart
Standard Terms for Funding Sources
Destiny District Diagram