Please pay attention to the DUE dates and what is going on as I have to be out of the class for quite a few days and the end of the nine weeks is upon us!!!
REMEMBER: Substitute days – you have a class contest and can WIN a Game Day for the end of next week! Get a score of 18 – 20!!! All class CAN win, so keep each other in line!
- BEFORE reading the Holocaust poetry packet – flip to the TPCASST page and choose 3 poems to make predictions about them.
- Read and highlight powerful lines in the Holocaust poetry packet.
Tuesday, 12/10 & Wednesday, 12/11 (SUB on Wednesday)
- Finish the Holocaust poetry packet – complete the TPCASST
- On the last page, follow the directions and write ONE response poem (choose which type you want to write)
- Share your poems with your table group & fill out a TPCASST on two of the poems you hear.
Thursday, 12/12 (SUB)
- Read “Walking with Living Feet”.
- Complete the thinking questions at the end.
Friday, 12/13 (SUB)
- 3 Bookmarks DUE TODAY!!! I will be picking them up to grade on the weekend!!
- Book Share Discussion – be sure to have your Holocaust independent reading book for table discussions. Book Share Discussions
- Write Leveled Questions for the Socratic Seminar next week; use all or any of the material about the Holocaust we have read or seen.
Don’t forget to choose a book that is connected in some way to the Holocaust (fiction or non-fiction). All bookmarks DUE on Friday, 12/13!
Tuesday, 12/3 & Wednesday, 12/4
- Journal: Respond to the following poem in 1 full page.
“I believe in the sun even when it is not shining.
I believe in love even when I cannot feel it.
I believe in God even when He is silent.” – anonymously written on a wall during the Holocaust
- Holocaust Poetry Packet (what you don’t finish Fri will be finished in class next week)
- Homework: Read & annotate (for important details and main ideas) two short articles
Don’t forget to scroll down to see the two lower boxes on the right side! One is for students and parents to SUBSCRIBE to this blog so that you can get updates without having to log into the website. The second one is the WIKI box which will take you to Keepers pages and reference information.
- Finish projects and artists statements (use the WIKI for citations to help you with the three required passages you need to incorporate); REVISED – you do not need to cite the 5 required examples of diction
Tuesday, 11/19 & Wednesday, 11/20
- 3D STEAM presentation – be prepared to explain and defend your art; you will need to explain its representation of mood and symbolism
- Peer Art Reviews STEAM 3D Project Peer Review
- BRING your rubric from your project directions packet
Thursday, 11/21 & Friday, 11/22
See the previous post for text and audio links. Also, the 3D Project details are uploaded on that post.
IF you are out for the next few weeks, please check the blog for details, complete the project at home and send it in if you are able before the Thanksgiving break.
- Response pages from the packet (“Annabel Lee” and “The Tell-Tale Heart”) DUE today
- Begin reading “The Masque of the Red Death” – will finish together (NOT homework)
Tuesday, 11/12/19 & Wednesday, 11/13/19
- Finish reading “The Masque of the Red Death”
- Table groups use the packet response pages to analyze the poem
- Begin 3D Project – DUE on Monday 11/18/19
Thursday, 11/14/19 & Friday, 11/15/19
- 3D Project Work Day – Complete by Monday for presentation
Attached are the stories and poems we will be reading and analyzing. Read and annotate each one looking for diction and the elements of suspense which contribute to mood and tone.
Symbolism List (not a complete list)
How to cite a poem:
Elements of Suspense
- “The Raven” – in class (Thursday/Friday, 11/7 or 11/8)
- “Annabel Lee” – weekend homework (complete the response page)
- “The Tell-Tale Heart” – weekend homework (complete the response chart)
- “The Masque of the Red Death” – in class (Monday, 11/11 & block days, 11/12 or 11/13)
Be prepared for our STEAM activity:
- bring items such as cardboard, cereal boxes, buttons, anything else that you could use to create a 3D project of some sort
- bring markers or paint if you wish to
- bring liquid glue
- Election Day – NO SCHOOL for STUDENTS!! Please sleep late. I’ll be jealous…
Thursday, 11/7/19 & Friday, 11/8/19
- Read & Annotate “The Masque of the Red Death” The Masque of the Red Death text
- Group Discussion & Responses response sheets
- BRING a cardboard box or piece of cardboard for a project activity NEXT WEEK – 3D Mask Making & Symbolism Defense
- Edgar Allan Poe Vocabulary
- KWL for the Poe vocab list
- Create an Instagram Post on an index card using at least TWO vocabulary words in the caption. Use color.
- Play vocab dice game in class
Tuesday, 10/29 & Wednesday, 10/30
- Disney Project Party – come prepared with your project
- Media Center
- Be sure to have an independent reading book either of your own or from the Media Center when we leave
- Remember, THREE bookmarks are due this nine weeks!!!!
- Jigsaw Summary Notes (use class posters to learn Chs. 11 & 12)
Ch 11 & 12 Jigsaw Timeline Response Organizer for 14 groups
Ch 11 & 12 Jigsaw Timeline Response Organizer for 15 groups
Tuesday, 10/22 & Wednesday, 10/23
Thursday, 10/24 & Friday, 10/25
- Thursday (SUB) – Writing assignment if class cannot work attentively on projects
- If you finish: Membean OR DEAR (go to the Media Center if you need an independent reading book).
Disney Party Project Day – Block day of next week. Be prepared!!
PSAT will take place Friday morning for 8th grade. Students will remain in homeroom classes for the test and it will take several hours.
- Be on time!!
- You need pencils and a DEAR book!
- You may use a calculator but must supply your own!
- You may bring a ‘clean snack’ to eat at a specified time during testing!
- You will see only your Connections classes on Friday – at the end of the day!
- Quiz on Ch. 5
- Ch. 6 Discussion Log
- Anchor Charts: Chs. 5 & 6
- New Membean Rules: Membean Directions
- Don’t forget: BOOKMARKS are due by WED., 10/9!!!
Tuesday, 9/31 & Wednesday, 10/1
- Ch. 7 QUIZ
- Quote Quiz – be sure to have your book!
- Ch. 7 Discussion
- Catch up with reading and discussions
Thursday, 10/2 (Substitute)
Important to Remember:
Membean!!!! (DUE every Sunday by midnight)
Independent Reading Bookmarks!!!! (DUE Wed., 10/9)
You NEVER KNOW when you will have a POP Quiz!
Keep up with the Walt Reading Calendar!