I hope everyone has had a fun Fall Break! I can’t wait to hear all about it. It’s Ellis Island week!! Out of all of the fun days our students have at East Side, Ellis Island is my favorite! I gave out character assignments on Thursday before the break. Please make sure that your student comes dressed like their character on Friday. Any parents who are volunteering on Friday need to be dressed up too!
I sent out an email before the break with a link to sign up for parent conferences. Monday is the last day to sign up for a conference. A time will be assigned to you if you do not sign up by the end of the day on Monday. The link to sign up is https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70A0F49A8AC23A3F85-fall.
Math: We will finish up 3 digit by 2 digit multiplication and introduce the standard form of long division. There will be a multiplication quiz on Tuesday.
Reading: We will have our book clubs on Monday. We will continue to work on finding and comparing different themes in texts. Thursday there will be a Theme assessment.
Writing: We will finish up our Personal Narratives this week! Your students will be given a rubric this week and will type their final drafts. I can’t wait for y’all to read your student’s narrative!
Social Studies: This week we will focus on Ellis Island. Your student will read about immigrating through Ellis Island, create their passports, watch a documentary on Ellis Island and more.
A Couple Things to Know:
- Our High Touch High Tech in-school field trip is Monday!
- We will have Genius Hour in the Media Center on Wednesday. Ask your student about it. Alexander does a great job teaching the students.
- Thursday is an all-day collaboration day for 5th Each 5thgrade class will have a substitute teacher while the classroom teachers meet and plan.
Hey! It has been an awesome week! I have loved getting to know all of your students. We have such a fun class! If you get a chance, ask your student about our STEM project where we used Jello and marshmallows. I’ll be uploading some pictures of it to the shutterfly site over the break. Today we read a book called One Green Apple. I knew it would be a good book, but I had no idea just how much the students would connect to it. It’s a great topic of conversation for you to talk about with your 5thgrader. If your student complains of being bored over the break, have them practice multiplication on Math IXL.
A couple things you need to know:
- Ellis Island is Friday, October 5th!! That’s the Friday we come back from Fall Break. Your student got their character assignment today. (Oh my goodness, you would not have believed the screams when I announced who was married, elderly, sick, etc. It was hilarious!). Your student does need to be in costume on Friday. You can google Ellis Island and get an idea of what people wore back then.
- We still need one more parent volunteer for lunch on Ellis Island day. It’s a fun way to be involved. You can see details for that on shutterfly.
- We have High Touch High Tech on Monday, October 1st. Your student cannot participate if we do not have a signed permission form.
- An email went out tonight about parent conferences. If you did not get an email from me, please let me know ASAP.
HAVE A GREAT FALL BREAK!
Hey! I want to tell you a little about myself and give you a heads up on everything happening this week at school.
I have been married for 16 years and have 4 children. We are figuring out middle school with our 6thgrader at Dickerson. Our other kids are in 5th, 4th, and 1stgrade at East Side. I have a degree in Elementary Education from UGA and taught in Gwinnett and Barrow counties. I love East Side, and I’m very excited to be teaching your 5thgraders for the next couple months.
I know it’s a big deal to have your teacher out for this long. I hope to keep things as similar to Mrs. Marroquin as possible so that your students make the transitions smoothly. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you or for your students. I will eventually have an email through Cobb County Schools, but that can take a couple weeks. Feel free to contact me through my gmail at [email protected].
Math: We will be learning the standard form of multiplying three-digit by two-digit numbers. (Yes! Standard form is what we learned in school!)
Reading: We will continue to talk about character traits. We’ll introduce the difference between plot and theme in the books we read. We had our first book club meetings today, and we will continue to have those on Mondays.
Writing: Your students have been working on a personal narrative. They will be writing their rough drafts and starting revisions this week. We are going to focus on emotions in writing, writing all the senses, and writing a good hook. They are working so hard on these! I can’t wait for y’all to read them when they are finished. We will have a vocabulary quiz this Friday.
Science: We will continue to learn about constructive and destructive forces and how they impact our world.
A few things to remember:
- Please send in your signed permission form for High Touch High Tech. We will be having this program on Monday when we get back from Fall Break. Your student cannot participate without the signed permission form.
- Ellis Island is Friday, October 5th! That’s the Friday after Fall break! Your student will be bringing home their character assignment this week. Please look for this assignment and start working on a costume.
- Please send in your student’s class T-shirt form this week.
- No school next week! Have a great Fall Break!!
Here is the link for the volunteer opportunities for our Ellis Island simulation.