- Due to missing two days of school, our Specialty Board Exams will be postponed until next Friday, January 26th.
- I encourage students to continue to use the study and research tools provided in yesterday’s post.
- Directed Readings are due when we return to school.
- Enjoy another day off!
- Today’s class would have been used to continue research for specialty body system posters.
- At this point, I’m going to have to keep our Board Exams scheduled for this Friday. If there is an update in school closings for tomorrow, we will adjust and I’ll update the blog with the plan.
- For now, I highly recommend that if you are able, use some of this time to continue research for your specialty posters and to study for the board exams. Remember, the board exams count for a quiz grade. You must make a 90% in order to treat patients. You make re-take the board exam if needed.
- Use the following review tools to research and study your specialty:
- Your Directed Reading (electronic copies are available on last Friday’s post.)
- Cobb Digital Library
- Human Body System Online Resources
- Today’s class was used to present speeches introducing class clinics and to work on specialized research and directed readings.
- Homework: Directed Readings are due tomorrow. (Electronic copies of the DR’s are available in last Friday’s post.)
- Specialty Board Exams are this Friday. Use your DR and other notes gathered during research to study.
- Today’s Video: Amoeba Sisters: Human Body Systems
Tuesday, January 16, 2018
Dear Dickerson Parents,
Due to inclement weather, CCSD is cancelling ALL after school and evening activities except for ASP for today, Tuesday, January 16, 2018. However, although ASP will remain open, parents are strongly encouraged to pick up their children as soon as possible. In addition, the district and superintendents office will be monitoring the weather situation and they hope to make a decision regarding tomorrow by 10 pm this evening. Please stay tuned.
Dr. Carole Brink
Principal, Dickerson Middle School
- Students began creating signs and speeches for their clinics.
- Here were their instructions:
- Your group will be creating a sign that introduces your clinic
- The sign should include:
- *Name of the clinic
- *Clinic logo and/or slogan
- *Name of each clinic member and their area of specialty (ie Jane Smith, MD Cardiologist)
- While two students work on the sign design, remaining students will write a two minute speech introducing their clinic to the rest of the class.
- For the last 10-15 minutes of class, students were placed into their Specialty groups to begin their research with a Direct Reading.
- Homework: Clinic Signs and Speeches are due next Tuesday the 16th. Specialty Directed Readings are due next Wednesday the 17th.
- Presentation Rubrics: Specialty Poster Rubric
- Directed Readings:
- Orthopedists:Skeletal System DR , Muscular System DR
- Neurologists:Nervous System DR
- Gastroenterologists:Digestive System DR
- Cardiologists:Cardiovascular System DR
- Urologists:Urinary System DR
- Pulmonologists:Respiratory System DR
- Infectious Disease Specialists:Lymphatic System DR, Your Body’s Defenses DR
- Students were introduced to the Human Body Systems unit today.
- Students are specializing in a specific system of the body and will present their research to their clinic groups at the end of the month.
- Homework: Write all due dates in your agenda.
- Medical Clinics Handout: Medical Clinics Student Page
- Specialties: Types-of-Physicians
- Due to losing class time on Monday, the Cell Cycle Project due date has been extended to tomorrow at the beginning of class.
- Class was used to completed notes over the Cell Cycle and to work on the Cell Cycle Project.
- We are meeting in 7 COM Lab tomorrow.
- Homework: Complete Cell Cycle Project if not completed in class.
- Today’s PowerPoint: Mitosis
- Cell Cycle Project: Cell Cycle Project
- Students began working on a Cell Cycle Project today.
- Project is due at the end of class next Monday.
- Cell Cycle Project
- Today’s Video: Crash Course: Mitosis
- Welcome back!
- Students were introduced to Mitosis by completing an Unravel over Chapter 4 Section 3 in the textbook. Unravel Template
- Homework: Complete Unravel if not completed in class.
- Today’s video: Amoeba Sisters: Mitosis
I’ve decided to try the Remind 101 app to send students and parents reminders about homework, tests, labs etc. If you’re interested, I highly recommend it. All you have to do is text your class code to 81010. Here are the codes:
- 1st Period: @fhed3c
- 2nd Period: @3ekced
- 3rd Period: @4b33dk
- 4th Period: @hhkggc
- 5th Period: @347f2g
If you have any problems, please send me an email!