We’ve got a busy week ahead!
On Monday & Tuesday we will continue with IOWA testing in math, science, and social studies. Students did a great job last week. Thanks for getting to school on-time and doing your best!
This week at the Mill:
Monday 9/17 = IOWA Testing : Math –
- HW: I suggest to watch the assigned Edpuzzle once
Tuesday 9/18 =
- IOWA Testing: Science / Social Studies
- Curriculum Night 6-7 pm for Kindergarten through 2nd grade
- Zaxby’s Spirit Night
- Suggestion: Watch the assigned Edpuzzle for the 2nd time – take notes to use in your response
Wednesday 9/19 = Suggestion: Watch the assigned Edpuzzle – use your notes from yesterday to write your response.
Thursday 9/20 =
- Curriculum Night 6-7 pm for 3rd through 5th grade – join us for some fun down on the 5th grade hall! Compete with your child and learn more about life in 5th grade.
- Super Specials Today – wear tennis shoes. One of your specials will be PE
Friday 9/21 =
- No Specials Today
- Well Star Lesson
- STEM CHALLENGE – IN HOMEROOMS
- Last day before break
- Edpuzzle video/question due
September 24-28th = NO SCHOOL: FALL BREAK
See you back at school on October 1st!
This week in science we will work on our Earthquake Lab (independent assignment). Last week students were asked to find the 15 most recent, significant earthquakes and plot them on the map. I will model the rest of the assignment in-class before they complete it. The remainder of the assignment is about making a CLAIM based on the data – discussing the EVIDENCE that supports your claim – and writing about your reasoning. Again, I will model this with them in-class. This is our first assignment like this, so I want to show them how before they try it on their own.
We will have a great science day on Friday with a STEM challenge. Look for an email from Mrs. Lumpkin, our room parent if you can volunteer to bring a pan of Jello on Friday. We don’t want kids to take something like this on the bus, so if you are willing to bring it up to the school, please respond to her email.
For our STEM challenge we also need:
Girls, please bring toothpicks – one box per girl is plenty
Boys, we need you to bring one bag of mini-marshmallows.
Social Studies: Great job on your states! We will continue to review the geography of the United States and add some important land-marks and geographic features. We will continue learning about government and citizenship this week. Please watch the Edpuzzle and answer the following question:
Why was it important that the founding fathers create a government that split power between three branches? Why did they include a Bill of Rights?
I suggest watching the video several times – write down some key ideas to include in your response.
Language Arts (Mills, Misinco, Pace/Kagan):
I did not assign a normal weekly language homework this week because our week will be chopped up among other things. We will also NOT have a new vocabulary list this week.
- We are working with partners or groups to learn about the Bill of Rights. Students are creating some very cool products to write in a non-fiction style. We will learn about tone and how use of vocabulary is important to non-fiction writing.
- Please keep the Fortnight edition of the StoryWorks from Mrs. Pace. We will be using these in a few weeks. Place them in your plastic sheet protector and keep them safe!
- If you have not finished publishing your Narrative – please work on this during homeroom, study hall, or independently. We may have a few moments in-class this week, but use your other time wisely. Please share your narrative with me through Office 365 by Friday. I will give you feedback on your story there.
Reading: Visit Mrs. Pace’s Blog
Math: Visit Mrs. Mills’ Blog
Have a great week!