Digital Learning March 16th – March 20th
Digital Learning Week#1
As you already know, Cobb County School will be closed until further notice and the students will receive digital learning activities while we are out of school. Our fourth grade teachers have created a generic Digital Learning Plan, located on the CHES website —> https://www.cheathamhillelementary.com/
The majority of our specific classroom assignments will take place through online platforms that the students have used in the classroom. All students from our classroom took home their books from the library, Math Workbook, their homework folder with additional activities from the AC, Target and ESOL teachers.
- Teacher Communication: Mrs. Bruening and I (Mrs. Henry) are available daily through Remind 101 on Monday-Friday 9:00-10:30 to answer any questions about assignments. Just text through the app and we will respond to any questions.
- Suggested daily work time for students: (Grades 3rd-5th) 2-hour total for all subjects
- Here are optional Choice Board Activities —> Fourth Grade Choice Board Activities
- Cobb Digital Learning Resources Link —> Digital Resources
- Below are suggested specific task for our classroom to complete this week. Mrs. Bruening and I will send additional task next week, if needed. These activities are optional and meant to review material that has already been taught. Our suggestion is that the students would choose 1-2 tasks from at least 3 subjects to complete daily, with the exception of writing. One task may take multiple days. Also if students forget their log in information, look in their agendas or text us and we will assist you.
- Math Prodigy (20 minutes) – https://play.prodigygame.com/
- Ed Galaxy (20 minutes) Work from your study plan- https://educationgalaxy.com/
- Word Problems: Solve these word problem using all operations – Word-Problems-online
- Watch the video on Adding and Subtracting Fractions: Fractions Video
- Math Workbook pages: 585-586 and 605 -606 (Adding and Subtracting Fractions)
- Quiziz #1 Fractions – http://quizizz.com/join?gc=992969
- Watch the video Decimals on a numberline – Decimals Video
- Quiziz #2 Decimals on a Number line – http://quizizz.com/join?gc=146183
- Read your book from the library – daily 20 minutes, share what you have read with a family member. Don’t forget to keep track of any books you have read, to add to your Book Challenge!
- Ed Galaxy (20 minutes) – https://educationgalaxy.com/
- Dreamscape (20 minutes) – https://play.squigglepark.com/dreamscape/index.html?v=1
- Passage 1 – Manifest-Destiny-Reading-Comprehension-online
- Passage 2 – Susan-B-Anthony-Reading-Comprehension-online
- Passage 3 – Sacagawea-Reading-Comprehension-online
- ELA Game 1 – Jeopardy-Review-Game
- Watch the video —> Video on Fragments and Run-on Sentences
- ELA Game 2 – Jeopardy Game – Sentence-Fragments-Run-on-Sentences
Writing Task: Students may write or type their responses. Students can also log-onto Microsoft 365 to access Word for typing from their school account. See directions below.
Directions for logging on Microsoft 365 from home.
- Go to the Cobb County web page.
- Click on the Parents link,
- Then click on Office 365 Sign-in.
The username for students is –> firstname.lastname@example.org The password is —————–> school computer password
- Watch video on Opinion Writing –> Opinion Writing Video
- Task #1 – Write an opinion paper on would you rather fly or be invisible. Write at least 3 paragraphs. Explain why you chose this.
- Task #2 – Think of something you would love to change at school. Write a persuasive essay about the topic.
- Here is a Opinion_Graphic_Organizer to help you organize your thoughts, or you can take a plan sheet of white paper and fold it into fourths, like we go in class and use that as your organizer.
Social Studies: Westward Expansion
- Watch the video on Westward Expansion, then share what you have learned about the Oregon Trail—> Video on Oregon Trail
- Read about the passage on The Dangers of Westward Expansion. Then explain the dangers on the Westward Trails to a family member or write or type a paragraph. Click on the link to read the passages. —> Dangers-on-the-Westward-Trails Here is a graphic organizer for writing a paragraph, Writing a Paragraph Graphic Organizer Students may
- Watch the Video on The Alamo —> The Alamo Video Now create at least 5 comprehension questions from the video on a sheet of notebook paper. Watch the video again with a family member, then have your family member answer your questions.
Vocab Words to be listening for in your Social Studies Lessons
*Students: Some of these terms are new to you and some you already know. Read through the list and refer back needed if you hear a term you are unsure of.
Westward expansion –In 1800, the United States did not look the way it does now. It was much smaller. Instead of sprawling out from east coast to west coast, the whole country extended from the Atlantic Ocean to what we now call the Midwest. Over the next 100 years, this tiny nation would grow. Today we call this Westward expansion.
Manifest Destiny–Term used for America’s view of 19th-century expansion as far west as the Pacific Coast in which they believed they deserved to spread across the continent from coast to coast.
Territories- land controlled by their own government but that eventually became states
Homesteader- a person wanting to settle the land, filed and application, paid fees, and was approved, their moved to their piece of the land.
California Gold Rush– In 1848 Gold was discovered in Sutter’s Mill. When word of this spread, thousands of people came looking for gold. This was called the California Gold Rush.
Oregon Trail –a wagon route beginning in Missouri and ending in Oregon. Starting around 1840, hundreds of thousands of settlers took this dangerous route in search of new life in the West.
Below you will find directions on how to use Cobb Digital Library. GREAT resource for books online, videos, and many other things.
- Contact information: for Marla Buro/Media Specialist with any questions about this.
Marla.Buro@cobbk12.org Times: 9:00 to 10:30 am
(wide variety of high-quality information resources, ebooks, and kid-safe search engines)
|· Cobb Digital Library (CDL)/MackinVia
To Access go to: www.cobbk12.org,
· Click on Cobb Digital Library
· Click on Cobb Digital Library icon
· Login screen should appear – enter school name if requested
· Student may key in
Now you are inside of CDL –
· Click on EBooks to read a book online
· Click on Databases to access numerous resources like BrainPop, BrainPop Jr., PebbleGo, Britannica Online School Edition, Nettreker, Sora, Tumblebooks, etc.
· Click on Links to access Kid-safe search engines
|ELA/Math||· EducationGalaxy.com – login with student ID and secret password
|More Online Books||· Big Universe.com
Username: Student ID
Password: secret password
Group name: cheatham-ga
|· www.Clever.com (quick access to some specialized resources)
Click on Log In as a student.
Enter Student Information.
Username: Student ID
Password: Student ID
If prompted to change the password, have your student change it to their secret password or 1234.
|Learning Commons Website||For more information, visit