Please have your child bring in an egg carton and any rocks and minerals they might like to make a rock collection case next week. We’ll have extra rocks to choose from in the class. Thank you for helping your child become a “rock hound”. Here’s a link to a website for your budding geologist: http://www.rockhoundkids.com/
It’s hard to believe we’ve been in school about 4 weeks. The children are doing beautifully! Mrs. Mann and I just got most of the students set up in their new classroom jobs. The children earned their first “Special Treat” by earning compliments and stars in the halls and the cafeteria. Good things are happening.
The highlights for this next week include science lab on Moday, picture day and early release on Wednesday, and a National Park Service presentation on rocks on Thursday!
We visit the media center every Wednesday, so please help your child remember to bring back library books so that a new one can be checked out. That being said, the children have 2 opportunities every day to visit the library to check out new books. 🙂
We’re sending home a new reading log this week. We would like parents to sign it so that the children get into the good routine of logging their reading and know that caretakers and teachers are counting on them to document their reading work. We’re so pleased to see that the children are enthusiastic about Education Galaxy, and are turning in their folders and homework on time.
Here’s our learning plan ~
- Math ~ 3 digit addition and subtraction
- Reading ~ Character analysis with Stone Fox (Willy, Grandpa, Searchlight, Stone Fox)
- Writing ~ Editing and publishing narrative writing piece
- Language Arts ~ Mentor sentence, nouns and vivid verbs
- Science ~ Rocks and minerals
- Other ~ We’ll sprinkle in a bit of test practice
Thank you SO MUCH for all the donations of table wipes, snacks, sticky notes and sanitizer! The cupboards are full! It means so much to us to know that the classroom needs will be taken care of!
Have a terrific weekend!
It was so nice to see many of you at the orientation! If you were unable to come, we’re happy to answer your questions and address concerns via email and/or at conference time. Mrs. Mann and I are always available! 🙂
Here’s our learning plan:
- Math ~ Addition strategies
- Reading ~ Comprehension strategies, character traits
- Writing ~ Drafting, revising and editing our first personal narrative
- Language Arts ~ Plural nouns, mentor sentence
- Social Studies ~ Civics
- Science ~ Rocks
- Read Alouds ~ Stone Fox, Harry Potter
Highlights this week include a Wellstar health presentation and the media center orientation. We’re also getting the children set up on Education Galaxy and having them complete a math pretest to get them started on the “just right” level of practice. Also, clubs start this week! P.E. is on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Have a lovely weekend!
What a fabulous 8 days! The children earned a gold star in the lunchroom for their behavior and were even complimented by Mrs. Blake! Mrs. Mann had the class store set up Friday morning and the children went shopping with their earned tickets!
We look forward to our parent/teacher open house this Thursday evening. Mrs. Mann and I will have a short presentation covering important information and will then open the floor to address your unanswered questions.
Here’s our learning plan…
- Math – Rounding to nearest 10/100, addition properties
- Reading – Establishing reader’s workshop, building reading stamina & choosing books
- Writing – Establishing writer’s workshop, collecting ideas & drafting a narrative
- Grammar – Abstract nouns, examining sentences
- Social Studies – Maps (latitude, longitude, Equator, Prime Meridian) and citizenship
- Science – Establishing expectations/procedures for the science lab
This last week, Mrs. Weitnauer came to visit our class. The children learned about her job as our school counselor. Mrs. Weitnauer will be visiting every three weeks. Lesson topics include friendship, conflict resolution, study skills, responsibility, career awareness and safety skills. Please contact [email protected] (phone (770) 578-7238) if you ever need to discuss your student with her.
Thank you to Chloe and Bria’s moms for sorting things at home for us. We’re so happy to have lots of parents signed up to volunteer for the class!
Hope to see you all Thursday!
P.S. Photos of children working on their writing notebooks! 🙂
Our first three days together were terrific! When students are so hardworking, attentive and kind, lots of good things follow! Mrs. Mann and I are looking forward to an outstanding year!
This is our learning plan this week:
- Math ~ Comparing & rounding 4-digit numbers using place value
- Reading~ Workshop routines to establish independent reading, choosing “just right” books & using the classroom library
- Writing~ Workshop routines, generating ideas for writing & capturing those ideas in notebooks
- Language Arts ~ Nouns, sentences (examining, revising, & rewriting sentences)
- Social Studies ~ Maps
SeeSaw information will go home this week! What is SeeSaw, you ask? Click on this link to find out. https://web.seesaw.me/families/ It’s AWESOME and you’ll LOVE it!
Homework: Look for it in the green folder. Homework is due on Fridays.
🙂 Mrs. Pennington