This week’s learning plan:
- Math ~ Distributive property Khan video tutorial
- Reading ~ Nonfiction main idea and key details
- Writing ~ Elaboration and revision in nonfiction writing
- Social Studies ~ Productive resources Social Studies Weekly video
- Language Arts ~ homophones, they’re, there, their
Here are some highlights this week: Kincaid is expecting a special visit Wednesday from the author of The Bravest Worrier, Angelique Monet! That night is the Kincaid Unplugged night which means NO HOMEWORK for students! Saturday is the Kincaid Fun Run!
Warning! Sneaking into Halloween candy the morning of a school day causes extremely scary classroom behavior! 😁
Last but not least, congratulations to ALL of us for Kincaid’s rocking CCRPI score! It takes a village!
Have a terrific week!🎃
Mrs. Pennington & Mrs. Mann
We so enjoyed meeting with our parents this week. Your input helps us so much in moving your child forward! Thank you again for everything you do!
Our learning plan:
- Math ~ Multiplication (zeroes, ones, fives, tens, twos facts)
- Reading ~ Written responses to nonfiction
- Writing ~ Personal “expert” stories
- Language Arts ~ Action verbs, noun/verb agreement
- Science ~ Weathering and erosion
- 20 minutes of reading
- 10 minutes of Prodigy
- Multiplication facts practice (flashcards, apps, etc)
KINCAID ELEMENTARY RED RIBBON WEEK
I BELIEVE IN ME…HAPPY, HEALTHY, AND DRUG-FREE!
Oct 21st-Oct 25th
The purpose of Red Ribbon Week is to emphasize the importance of a drug-free lifestyle and making safe, healthy choices. The theme for Red Ribbon Week this year is I BELIEVE IN ME…HAPPY, HEALTHY, and DRUG-FREE! To celebrate the week, we will have several theme days and activities:
Monday, October 21: WEAR RED DAY! (Wear RED to show your support of being drug free)
- Trivia: Morning announcement to kick off Red Ribbon Week, daily trivia contest. Each day this week, the counselors will do morning announcements about Red Ribbon week and a daily trivia question.
- K-5 “Color My World Drug Free” Coloring contest begins: K-5 students will have a chance to color a Red Ribbon Week Coloring sheet. There will be a winner chosen for each grade level that will receive some cool coloring supplies!
Tuesday, October 22: TEAM UP AGAINST DRUGS DAY! (Wear sports jerseys or Kincaid shirts)
Wednesday, October 23: MY DREAMS MEAN THE WORLD TO ME, THAT’S WHY I’M DRUG FREE! (Wear school-appropriate pajamas to school)
Thursday, October 24: TOO BRIGHT TO DO DRUGS! (Wear bright or neon colors to school)
Friday, October 25: SAY BOO TO DRUGS DAY! (Celebrate Foundation Friday Costume Day)
In addition, the counselors will be teaching classroom lessons on healthy choices, peer pressure, and refusal skills. See below links for more information on talking to your children about drug/alcohol use at this age and as they grow older:
Fact sheet on e-cigarettes for parents: https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/basic_information/e-cigarettes/pdfs/OSH-E-Cigarettes-and-Youth-What-Parents-Need-to-Know-20190327-508.pdf
Have a great weekend.
Mrs. P & Mrs. M
We look forward to seeing you this week for conferences.
Congratulations go to our 2019-20 class representative, Guillermo! The alternate is Maxene! We are proud of them, and all our nominees.👏
Our learning focus:
- Math ~ Multiplying by multiples of ten
- Reading ~ Nonfiction, asking and answering questions
- Writing ~ Expert stories
Your can help this week by talking with your child about what they’re an expert at. Kicking a soccer ball? Listening to a storybook? Building a fort? Doing a cartwheel? Drawing a puppy? The children will select a topic to begin writing this week. Thank you!
The children visited the book fair and made wish lists. This year, there are no toys—just books. There’s a nice selection of old and new favorites.
Keep up with the Spooktacular Reading Challenge on Biblionasium. The Link is right here And on the Link Menu to the right.👌 https://www.biblionasium.com/#tab/content-fall-picks
Mrs. Pennington & Mrs. Mann
Happy fall! It finally feels like it! Hope you were able to enjoy the Fall Festival Friday! Our parents worked hard to make it so special and fun!
Our class representative speeches will be given Monday and our election will be held Tuesday the 8th. Good luck to our nominees!
Our learning plan for the week:
- Math ~ Problem solving
- Reading ~ Text evidence, comprehension strategies
- Writing ~ Powerful endings, revision, editing
- Science ~ Rocks and soil
- Read Alouds ~ Harry Potter, Thank You Mr. Falker
👻🎃🦇Spooktacular 500 Minute Reading Challenge👻🎃🦇
We challenged the children to log 500 minutes of reading on Biblionasium by October 31st! When the challenge is met, we will have a special class reward (to be announced this week). Children can log minutes at home and in the classroom.
We’re so happy to announce that we are close to 1:1 technology access with our abundance of laptops and iPads! I am so grateful for Ms. Mann’s grant writing expertise and Ms. Blake’s commitment to our Kincaid children!
For conference week this year, which will take place next week, the Kincaid Library Learning Commons is hosting a Bedford Falls Book Fair. The focus will be on building literacy and providing our students with a greater choice of high quality books to read. Students will preview the fair Thursday the 10th, Friday the 11th and Monday the 14th. Sale days and hours are:
• Monday, Oct. 14 7:15-4:00
• Tuesday, Oct. 15 7:15-4:00
• Wednesday, Oct. 16 7:15-4:00 / Family Late Night 4:00-6:00
• Thursday, Oct. 17 7:15-4:00
• Friday, Oct 18 7:15-11:00
See you next week for conferences.
Mrs. Pennington & Mrs. Mann