The past week and a half has flown by! We spent the first three days getting to know each other and completing different team building activities. I loved getting to know more about my students and watching them collaborate with each other to accomplish a common goal. I was so impressed with their willingness to work with new friends!
Last week, we dove into our first unit of inquiry. We began with the end in mind by looking at our culminating task of becoming an Adviser to the President; they will be answering the questions “Given these attacks, what course of action should the United States take? What should the President do?” The students participated in a gallery walk where they viewed primary sources from the attacks on 9/11, and from there, we learned how to develop inquiry based questions. We will continue to dive into this unit this week.
We began our first math unit as well! In this first unit, the students are taking a deeper look into place value and how it relates to our base ten number system. We are also looking into the base ten pattern and exponents.
Our novels have been ordered, and as soon as they arrive, we will begin reading those each day in class. If you are interested, I highly encourage you to read these novels along with your student and continue the dialogue at home! If you have not ordered these texts, please do so as soon as you can. It is imperative that your student have their own copy of these texts.
In our morning meetings and daily reflections, we have been discussing the 10 learner profiles and how they relate to our days and classroom essential agreements. We are also continuing to discuss the importance of choosing a successful spot in our flexible seating class.
- Picture day is August 20th!
- An information packet was sent home on Friday. This packet contains information about all of the class trips and payment options. As mentioned in the letter, a website for the class has been created: teasleyfifthgrade.weebly.com and a REMIND group has been set up (text @tea5th to 81010)
- Follow our class Instagram (@missthompson5th) to see what our days are like! The account is private, so please send me a message on Remind with your username so I can approve you!
- If you haven’t done so already, please sign up for the classroom Remind App by texting @49c8fb to 81010
What We Are Learning:
IB Unit: All’s Fair in Love and War: an inquiry into peace and conflict resolution
- Math: NBT. 1 Place Value/ NBT. 2 Powers of Ten.
- Social Studies: Conflicts (causes, events, and outcomes): Spanish-American War, WWI, WWII, Cold War, Cuban Missile Crisis, Vietnam War, Collapse of the Soviet Union, 9/11
- Monday: PE
- Tuesday: Music
- Wednesday: Spanish
- Thursday: PE
- Friday: Art