Good Morning 7th graders! I miss you all! Please let me know if I can do anything to help you this week.
Below is a video link to show you how to get to your assignments this week.
General Information for the Week:
This week, we will be using an issue of Scholastic Scope Magazine (Sept. 2019). Each day, you will complete a different task and record your answers on a Word document. Make a copy of this Answer Response Page and add your answers as you move through each daily assignment. (You may want to name your answer response page, “ELA and Lit Apps March 23-27”.) On Friday, once this week’s assignments are complete, you will share this document with both your ELA and Lit Apps teacher.
How to Access Scope Magazine:
• Visit Scope.Scholastic.com Choose login.
• Scope STUDENT access code: DURHAM2020
• Click “All Issues” and find the September 2019 Issue to complete these activities
Monday’s Assignment (3/23)
• Read the article, “Grammar Makes a Superhero.”
• Complete the Grammar Superhero Activity by recording your answers on your “Answer Response Page.” *You will add to this page tomorrow. Do not share it until Friday.
Tuesday’s Assignment (3/24)
Today you will complete a task to help you preview 11 vocabulary words you will encounter in an article we will read on Wednesday.
Complete this Vocabulary Preview Handout. Record your answers on the same Word document you started yesterday. Do not share any of your work with me today. I will give you directions on how to submit this week’s work on Friday.
TIP: There is an audio recording of these 11 words on the Scope.Scholastic.com site. The audio of these 11 vocabulary words is at the very bottom of the text, “I Live in a Refugee Camp” in the September 2019 issue.
Wednesday’s Assignment (3/25)
WATCH THIS FIRST: Today’s Assignment Instructional Video
- Log in to Scope.Scholastic.com (password: durham2020)
- Locate September 2019 edition
- Select the narrative nonfiction text, “I Live in a Refugee Camp”
- Watch the preview video (at bottom of text on left side)
- Read the text TWO times (There is audio of the text if you prefer to listen. Be sure to track with your eyes, however.)
- That’s it for today. You will complete an assignment with this text tomorrow.
Thursday’s Assignment (3/26)
Assignment: “I Live in a Refugee Camp” Comprehension Questions
Turn In: You should add today’s assignment to your ongoing Word document. DO NOT turn this in today. You will submit all of this week’s assignments tomorrow.
Yesterday, you read “I Live in a Refugee Camp” in the September 2019 edition of Scope magazine. Today’s assignment is to answer comprehension questions from this text. Remember to use the text to answer these questions. For the last two questions, which are constructed responses, be sure to use the R.A.C.E. strategy. You should refer back to the text to get your text evidence. You have notes on the R.A.C.E. strategy in your spiral notebook.
You will write your answers on the same Word document you’ve been adding to this week. (It’s the document with your grammar superhero and vocabulary assignments.)
Friday’s Assignment (3/27)
Assignment: Choose a text from the September 2019 edition of Scope magazine to read. Afterwards, write a summary of the article including anything new or interesting you learned. Your summary should be a paragraph. (roughly 4-7 sentences) Write your summary on the Word document (answer response page) you’ve been writing this week’s assignments on.
To turn in your assignments for the week use the links below:
Mrs. Dillard’s classes link: https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=-x3OL5-ROEmquMR_D8kYLTLGWKML_6VDu5_7u_DbFs9UOFhETTVWNEg1MkM5VDNWN0ZaNVBYRjJOQy4u
Mrs. Gray’s classes: https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=-x3OL5-ROEmquMR_D8kYLXSb6mZgc3xNkZgEE_XMa2dUQzBMNVQ5Wk1BWUZOREREMlpXU0lZOE44WS4u