I would like to welcome you to a successful year of exploration in the world of Life Science. A little introduction about myself, my name is Mrs. Nidhi Khurana and I have been teaching Science at Griffin Middle School for last 16 years
This school year, I would like your child to increase their knowledge and to value learning. Please feel free to contact me at any time with questions and concerns. I am looking forward to a productive and successful school year.
Parents Here is the link to sign up for Remind
Remind is a communication tool that helps me connect instantly with students and parents. I can send quick, simple messages to any device.
Aug 1st-Aug 3rd
We worked on the classroom rituals and routines.
We answered questions on the lab safety comic strip in groups.
Supply list for my class and sign up for Remind given out today . Passwords for Remind have been given out as well.
Aug 6th-Aug 10th
The students had fun flying paper copters in the classroom.Students performed the paper copter lab and wrote a summary lab report. We learned about the Scientific Method, manipulated variable and responding variable.
We start a new unit Cells The students are working on Cells Layered assignments in Layer 1 (Knowledge)they will finish all activities , In layer 2 (Compare and Contrast)they will complete 3 out of 4 activities. In layer 3(Application) they will finish 2 out of 3 activities.
• Cells layered assignment
• Complete Layer 1 task 1 Complete the graphic organizer using the power point.
Complete Tasks 2&3 Layer 1 Tasks
we completed layer 1 task 2
Complete the graphic organizer on the discoveries and accomplishments of the given scientists related to cell
• Watch a brain pop Video “Cell Structure’ and complete the quiz ( groups of two is permissible) Task 2
• Read Pages 60 -61 and complete “ A brief History of cell and Microscope” Task 3
Cells layered assignment continued
• Complete Layer 1 Task 4 Color and label the parts of an Animal and Plant Cell
• Complete Layer 1 Tasks 5 Create an acrostic poem using at least six of the vocabulary words
Cell Organelles quiz on Thursday
Cells lab on Friday
• Cell Analogy Project due on Sept 4th
• Create a model and chart or trifold poster comparing all the cell organelles to an analogy of your choice
I am looking forward to your creative projects on Cell Analogy . The students will working on these projects in class and at home. Can’t wait for the presentations on September 4th
Aug 27th Aug 31st
Cell analogy projects continue
Sept 4th -7th
Cell analogy project presentations
Cell discovery activity
Cell organelle quiz / Cell organelle webquest in the Lab on Friday
Create flip books on Diffusion osmossis active and passive transport
Read an article on osmosis and diffusion then compare and contrast Osmosis&. Diffusion
Photosynthesis and Respiration Fold able
• Instructions for completing Gummy Bear Lab to show osmosis
• Supplies – salt, gummy bear, beakers, clear plastic cups
Sept 24th-28th FALL BREAK
Photosynthesis and Respiration Video
Mitosis picture activity
Photosynthesis and Respiration What, when & how activity
Oct 8th -Oct 11th
Cell TIC TAC TOE
Study guide on Cells Summative
Human body systems tiered assignment
Oct 15th -19th
We are working on Human Body Tiered assignment
You are a newest doctor at Smyrna Hospital . You have been selected to write fact sheets on the functions of the major organ systems.
Items to include in the are the functions of each major organ system ,major organs and their function and what other systems it works with.
You are a third grade teacher in King Springs Elementary and have been asked to write and publish a book on the functions of the major organ systems of the human body . you will need to write the book so a third grade student can understand the functions and include illustrations as third graders love pictures.
You are a writer for Biology Today Magazine and you editor has assigned you to create the December edition entirely around major organ systems . You are responsible for writing about the functions of each organ system and the interactions of these systems .Your editor has also requested visuals
Technology based presentation
Power point , Blog , weebly , prezi ., movie, brochures etc on Human Body systems
Oct 22nd -27th
Human Body Tiered assignment continued
Oct 29th- nov 2nd
Human Body Tiered assignment continued
Quiz on Friday
Here is the power point on Human body systemsHuman body Organ Systems –1n3gq93
Nov 5th – 16th
We started working on the Human body systems project
• Students will work on to complete their paper dolls drawing and describing the organ systems and describing what other systems the system that they selected works with and how.
• They will make a working model of the system their group has chosen
• Presentations on Friday
• For home work Students will work on to complete their RAFT Assignment on writing a letter to the Human Body corporation to not terminate an organ and complete a wanted organ poster
Nov 19th – 23rd
Nov 26th -30 th
Human body systems project presentations continued
Body systems quiz
Body systems summative
Genetics Powerpoint notes/ Vocab flip book
Punnett Square practice
Bikni Bottom Genetics
Dec 10th -14th
Genetics with a smile Lab
We will create babies with the given traits in this lab
Dec 17th -21st
You will research a genetics disorder of your choice in the computer lab and answer questions for the research
Research paper, PowerPoint. website , prezzie, poster, brochure or Sway
DEc 24 th – JAN 4th
Jan 7th -11th
genetics disorder presentations
Jan 14 th -18th
genetics disorder presentations continued
Jan 28th -Feb 1st
LEAP on Adaptations, Evidence of evolution and Natural selection
Quiz oN Evolution Vocabulary words
Feb 4th -8th
Fossil guided notes
Natural selection Inquiry based activity
Evolution Almost There Test
Evolve an Animal Project
DUE ON WEDNESDAY Feb 13th
Feb 11th- 15th
Evolve an Animal Project
Presentations on Wednesday Feb 13th and Friday Feb 15th
EVOLUTION SUMMATIVE ON THURSDAY .FEB 14TH
FEb 25th-Mar 1st
We began the unit Ecology
• Ecology Introduction PowerPoint
• Create Vocabulary Flipbook or note cards
• Review Cards – write the vocabulary word, draw a picture, write the definition, and write a word-sentence to help students remember the definition
• Complete Flipbook and glue it to Notebook
• Relate Griffin Middle School to the ecological levels of organization
• The students made a four square organizer to explain the four levels of organization in an Ecosystem.
Mar 4th -Mar 8th
Food Web activities. The students answer questions on the given Food Webs
• They identify producers , consumers , Herbivores carnivores and omnivores in the given Food Webs
• They complete the wetland food Web activity.
• They answer questions on what will happen if a given organism disappears from the Food Web.
Food Web LEAP
Ecology Vocabulary Quiz
Food Chain Food Web Test
Mar 11th- 15th
We started the Biomes Tiered project. The students had a choice between three Tiers
– Tier 1 Create a book on the Biomes
– Tier 2 Create travel brochures on Biomes
– Tier 3 Create a multimedia presentation / movie on the biomes
• Information to be included in the project
– List examples of four animals
– List examples of four plants
– Precipitation (Centimeters of rainfall or snow or sleet, etc.)
– Temperature (highs and lows)
– Geographic Locations (continents and or countries)
– Four important and interesting facts.
• The students are working diligently on the tier they chose and we will work on one biome each day.
Mar 18-mar 22nd
Here is the link for the climatogram
Star fish Dissection
BIome In a Bottle Project
Here is the Rubric for that
GOAL: Create a self-sustaining environment (including biotic and abiotic factors) within a bottle. Keep living organisms alive for a minimum of 21 days.
-You will work in a group (3-4)
– Draw your proposed design and include a list of ingredients.
– Discuss and write your proposal (plan)
– Need 1- 2 paragraphs explaining the following.
– Include possible invertebrates (probably insects)
– Include possible plants
– Include substrate (soil, sand etc.)
– Potential websites:
– Teachengineering.org (biodome)
– Proteacher.org (biome in a bottle)
Biome Quiz Biome Test
Introduction to Symbiosis
Friday we went over the Biome test to see what question you got wrong and why
Symbiosis activities and Research
Biome In a Bottle Presentations
April 15th -19th
Ecology Almost There
Create your own Biome project Due on April 26th
April 22nd -26th
Six Kingdoms Flip book
Six Kingdoms Graphic organizer
Dichotomous Key activities
Classification quiz on Friday April 265h