Honors 9th Lit. Week 18
Planning Your Week
W 12/13 – submit all written portions to Turnitin.com before class Thursday.
Th 12/14 – The Night Circus presentations due in class; all written portions should be submitted to Turnitin.com before class.
Monday, 12/11– Snow day! No school!
Opener: Review rubrics for The Night Circus projects and EA 2 assignment and rubric p. 185-6 (Tim Burton style analysis essay).
- Begin Activity 2.13 “Setting the Mood and Understanding Tone: Wonka Two Ways”; read the excerpt from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Read the excerpt and complete the table identifying mood and the stylistic elements that contribute to it.
- Complete the text dependent questions, the tone chart on p.158 and “The Language of Style Analysis” p.159.
- Watch the beginning of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory; jigsaw the cinematic techniques to take film notes on Burton’s style.
- Groups share findings from the “close viewing” then discuss Burton’s style.
Closer: Groups compose responses to one of the questions on p. 160.
Opener: Groups jigsaw cinematic techniques then view scenes 10-12 in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
- Quickwrite response: What effect does Burton want to create in the scene at home and in the scene in front of the factory? What choices does Burton make to create these effects?
- Analyze style as you view scenes 14-16 p.163, filling in the graphic organizer p.164 with observations.
- Compose leveled questions and answer within your group.
- Complete the interpretation section of the chart p.164
Closer: Compose a response to the “Writing to Sources: Explanatory Text” prompt p.165.
HOMEWORK: Submit all written portions of The Night Circus projects to Turnitin.com by 11:59 p.m.
Opener: Review peer evaluation sheets and The Night Circus project rubrics.
- Present the 21st century Night Circus.
Closer: Complete peer evaluation sheets.
Opener: Outline notes for style analysis essay; include techniques from “Vincent” and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
- View Edward Scissorhands, completing film analysis notes and discussing opening credits and the frame story.
Closer: Complete outline for essay, noting any additional information needed to complete the essay.
Opener: Finish watching Edward Scissorhands.
- Complete style analysis essay.
Closer: Review requirements for final exam.
Tuesday, 12/19 and Wednesday, 12/20–Final Exams