Honors 9th Lit May 16-25
Planning Your Week
F 5/20—Portfolio Extra Credit Opportunity PortfolioExtraCredit
T 5/24—Final Exam prep due (twenty questions, guide sheet with quotes/notes, and a paragraph answer to one of your twenty questions)
Monday, May 16
- Review the definition of epic simile on p. 1087.
- Read background for “Part Two: Coming Home” p. 1089
- Read “Twenty Years Gone and I am Back Again.” p.1090
- View the scene between Odysseus, Eumaeus, Athena, and Telemachus in the film The Odyssey.
- Compare the film to the epic.
Tuesday, May 17
- Read “Argus” pp. 1096-1097
- View the painting on p. 1091.
- How does Wyeth’s painting convey Eumaeus’ characteristics in the epic?
- Compare Wyeth’s portrayal of Eumaeus with Konchalovsky’s in the film.
- How does the portrayal of Argus differ in the painting and the film?
- Read “The Suitors” and “Penelope” pp. 1097-1103.
Wednesday, May 18
- Read “The Challenge” pp. 1103-1105.
- Read “Odysseus’ Revenge” pp. 1107-1111.
- Read “Penelope’s Test” pp.1111-1114.
- View the remainder of the film The Odyssey and compare to the epic.
Thursday, May 19
- Generate theme statements and review plot events from The Tempest, The Night Circus, The Road, & The Odyssey.
- Develop your twenty questions for the final exam.
Friday, May 20
- Read poem “Penelope to Ulysses” by Meredith Schwartz.
- Read poems “Penelope” by Dorothy Parker and “Odysseus” by Merwin. Compare the two characters and the author’s tone toward the situation in each.
Monday, May 23
- Read the poem “Ithaka” by Constantine Cavafy.
- Read “Ulysses” by Alfred, Lord Tennyson
- Construct a poem to compliment your Where I’m From. This time it should be a retrospective like Ithaka or Ulysses.
Tuesday, May 24
- Final Exam