Honors 9th Literature January 5-6
Welcome to Honors 9th Literature with Mrs. Sanford! There is no pre-course assignment for this class, so enjoy your break!
Honors 9th Literature January 5-6, 2017
Planning Your Week:
F 1/6—Return signed syllabus and welcome sheet. Bring $10 for Membean vocabulary subscription.
M 1/9—Mini-me due; 2 poems printed from the Poetry Out Loud website
Monday, January 2
Tuesday, January 3—Wednesday, January 4, 2017
Student Holiday/Teacher Workday
Thursday, January 5, 2017
LG: Learn how to be successful in this class. Reflect on personal qualities and characteristics that will guide study habits. ELAGSER17 Gather relevant information from multiple authoritative print and digital sources, using advanced searches effectively; assess the usefulness of each source in answering the research question; integrate information into the text selectively.
- Discuss syllabus; begin welcome sheet.
- View The Science of Character video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdQRECe37K0
- Bring a sheet of paper and pencil and go to computer lab 113. Log in with student number (lunch number)
- Teacher will review TRSS sheets while students are taking the SRI and survey.
- Computer Lab Instructions
- Complete the SRI.
- Take the VIA Character Strengths survey http://www.viacharacter.org/www/The-Survey
- Register (choose NOT to receive emails) (it’s free)
- Take the YOUTH survey
- 120 questions (about 10 minutes)
- Supply personal demographic info
- Write down top five strengths
- Set up Schoology, Turnitin.com, and Office 365 or Google folder.
Homework: Sign & return syllabus, fill out Welcome Sheet, and bring $10 for Membean subscription. Finish the VIA survey if you did not have time in class.
Friday, January 6, 2017
LG: Reflect on personal qualities and characteristics that will guide study habits. ELAGSE R17 Gather relevant information from multiple authoritative print and digital sources, using advanced searches effectively; assess the usefulness of each source in answering the research question; integrate information into the text selectively.
- Gather signed syllabi. Receipt payments for Membean vocab.
- Students will gather data from Welcome sheet.
- Discuss questions related to syllabus and course.
- Mini-Me assignment (Due Monday).
- Introduce Assignment
- Brainstorm personal strengths and character traits. Relate to the top three results from the survey
- Begin working on your mini-me. You MUST finish it for homework to participate in Monday’s activity.
- Introduce Poetry Out Loud; locate two poems from the POL website that you will analyze. Post the links to Schoology, then print the poems and bring to class
Homework: Complete Mini-Me and bring to class with VIA survey results Monday; sign & return syllabus and bring $10 for Membean subscription if you have not done so already. Locate 2 poems from the Poetry Out Loud website; post the links to Schoology and bring printed copies to class Tuesday.