Honors 9th Lit May 8-12
Honors 9th Lit.
Planning Your Week: May 8-12
No Membean this week!
M: Read through p.175 in The Road; prepare annotations and questions for discussion.
M 5/15: Finish The Road; prepare annotations and questions for discussion.
Learning Goal: Enhance and propel collaborative discussion with relevant questioning, thoughtful responses, and appropriate preparation.
Focus Standards: ELACC9-10SL1: Initiate and participate effectively in a range of collaborative discussions(one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners on grades 9–10 topics, texts, and issues, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly and persuasively.
Monday, May 8
- Participate in pinwheel discussion of The Road through p.175
Tuesday, May 9
- Introduce The Odyssey: View the video—A Long and Difficult Journey, or The Odyssey: Crash Course Literature 201 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS4jk5kavy4; discuss epic poetry, hero’s journey, etc.
- Revisit your mini me; create a new “you” as an epic hero.
- Note the list of characters in The Odyssey on p. 982 of the textbook and on the Gods & Monsters handout; read the epic hero notes.
- Read the invocation to The Odyssey 981 and “I am Laertes’ Son” p.983.
- Complete “Role Model” vs. Rogue” graphic organizer with “The Adventure of Odysseus,” “Sailing from Troy,” and “The Lotus Eaters”; view adaptations of “The Lotus Eaters” in Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief and Scorch Trials.
Wednesday, May 10
- View Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief; complete “Tracing the Hero’s Journey” graphic organizer to analyze Percy Jackson; compare and contrast with Odysseus and the man in The Road.
Thursday, May 11
- Read “The Judgement of Paris,” “A Tale for All the Ages,” and “The Value of Hospitality in Ancient Greek Society”; complete “Pre-Reading Notes” handout.
- View video on Greek hospitality.
- Finish viewing Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief; complete handout
Friday, May 12
- Read/annotate The Road, preparing questions and annotations for discussion.
- Compare the style of Homer and McCarthy. Discuss Greek heroes.