Honors 9th Literature Week 2 8/7 – 8/11
Honors 9th Lit. Week 2
SB= SpringBoard text
Planning Your Week:
Choose an adult you wish to interview about his or her post-secondary experience; you will need to conduct this interview in the next week or two, and we will prepare questions in class.
Monday, August 7
IR: List the title and author of the book you read Friday on your reading log. List bullet points to identify tone and elements of voice (diction, syntax, & imagery).
- IR: Book pass sampler; read for 3-4 min. and complete the log; rotate through the group, then discuss and create a sticky note for each book in your group.
- SB: Reorient students to the EA1, skills, and academic vocabulary for the unit.
- SB: Review the pizza prompt: work through the samples and complete the graphic organizer with inferences.
IR: Revisit and add to bullet points with better understanding of diction, syntax, and imagery for tone and voice.
Tuesday, August 8
SB: Read the excerpt from Speak p.10-11; reread and answer questions 1-4 p. 11. Note Vocabulary p.10, Word Connections p.11, Roots & Affixes p.6
- SB: Lesson 1.3 Read aloud while students mark diction, imagery, and syntax to determine voice and tone; focus on dashes and how a 38 year old author creates an authentic teen voice *Check Your Understanding* question (relate to EA1 where they will do the reverse)
- SB: Lesson 1.4 Parallel Structure: TEACH using ppt with Grammar & Usage section–compound sentences p.13 (clauses, gerunds, nouns, pronouns, adjectives, adverbs, prepositions) *formative assessment* Check Your Understanding p.15
IR: Look for three examples of parallel structure.
Wednesday, August 9
IAN: Draw a line with childhood on one end and old age on the other; identify on the line where coming of age happens (when does the process start and end?) How old do you have to be to write your own coming of age story?
- SB: Lesson 1.5 Review imagery and voice; read “Marigolds,” marking ! for interesting imagery, highlighting voice; circling unknown words and phrases.
- SB: Reread the story; answer the text-dependent questions.
IR: Look for three examples each of imagery and voice.
Thursday, August 10
SB: Revisit “Marigold”; complic graphic organizer p.26
- SB: Revisit “Marigold”; complete graphic organizer p.26.
- SB: Compose paragraph response, EOC style p.27.
- SB: Teach Language Check 1.5: verb voice and mood. Assign EOC paragraph revision to be submitted to Turnitin.com. *formative assessment*
IR: Identify mood and provide two pieces of evidence with reasoning/interpretation to support your claim about mood.
Friday, August 11
IAN: Create vocab flashcards
- SB: Lesson 1.6 Write questions and interview a partner; write a script for introducing your partner to the class: highlight direct and indirect quotations and parallel structure, explaining why you used them.
- SB: Lesson 1.12 Plan Your Interview and Lesson 1.10 The Art of Questioning
HOMEWORK: Set up your interview and begin planning questions.