I’d like to take this time to thank you all for meeting with me this week to discuss your child’s academic progress. I enjoyed our discussions and I look forward to continuing our working relationship.
Here’s what we’re learning…
Reading: RI2- Determine the main idea of a text and explain how it is supported by key details. We’ll also learn how to summarize nonfictional text during our guided reading groups. We will focus on these reading standards for the next 3 weeks.
Writing: W2- Opinion Essays
Math: OA4 and NBT5 – Students will use multiples and number patterns to multiply. They will determine the difference between prime/composite numbers and factors vs. multiples.
Social Studies: We are learning about the causes of the American Revolution.
October 21-25 is Red Ribbon Week (flyers were sent home)
- Monday: Red-y to Live a Drug Free Life – Wear Red
- Tuesday: We Can Live Drug Free & Hats Off to Being Bully Free – Can Good Drive & Wear favorite hat
- Wednesday: I’m Too Bright For Drugs – Wear bright or neon colors
- Thursday: From Head to Toe I’m Drug Free – Crazy Hair & Socks Day
- Friday: TEAM UP Against Bullying & Drugs – Wear your favorite team shirt
We will have a Mystery Reader opportunity on Thursday, October 31st! You can bring your own favorite book, but I’ll have books here for you to choose from if you need it. If you are interested in reading to our class, please let me know. You can send me an email or message me on REMIND with the time slot that works for you. The time slots are first come, first served. Here are the available times that you can read to us:
This week is Early Release and Parent – Teacher Conference Week. I look forward to meeting with all of you. See you soon!
We will focus on the following skills and standards for the next two weeks:
Reading: Determine the main idea and details of a text by using specific details.
ELA: Students will write opinion essays with reasons and examples to support their view.
Math: We’ll begin our unit on multiplication with factors and multiples. Please have your child to practice their multiplication and division facts to 12.
Social Studies : We have begun our unit on the American Revolutionary War. We’ll identify the causes and how it shaped our country. We’ll integrate our reading and social studies with a novel entitled: The Fighting Ground by Avi. We’ll examine character, setting, point of view, mood, theme, main idea, and details.
Welcome back to all! I hope that everyone enjoyed their break. October is going to be a busy month filled with activities, field trips, and parent/teacher conference week.
CONFERENCES: Conference Week is October 14th-18th – All students will come home with their conference letters on Wednesday. Please sign and return by next week Monday, Oct. 7th. If the assigned time does not work for you, I will do my best to accommodate your schedule.
Note: Report Cards are given during this time.
Mark your calendars:
- Cereal Box Projects are Due Friday, October 10th
- WellStar Lesson: “Temper Tamers” on October 4th
- FALL FESTIVAL & Chili Cook Off: Oct. 5th 10:00am – 1:00pm…Please visit the Pitner website for further details.
- Fire Safety Village Field Trip October 8th
- EARLY RELEASE – Thursday, October 10th
- End of the 1st Quarter – October 11th
- Early Release and Conference Week 10/14 – 10/18
I’d like to thank two more students, Annabella and Emma for each purchasing a book from the book fair (prior to the break). We’ll be adding these books to our classroom library. THANK YOU!!!!!