Dear 3rd, 4th, and 5th Grade Parents!
Our desire here at Nicholson is to involve parents in the education of their children. Each school in Georgia receives a climate star rating issued by the Georgia Department of Education. This rating is determined by survey data collected by students, parents, and staff of each local school. We will have laptops or iPADS available next Thursday evening at the PTA/Holiday Chorus Concert for you to complete the Georgia Parent Survey. A QR Code with the survey link will also be posted in the cafeteria and included in the Chorus brochure for you to scan using your Smart device. Your input is valuable and important! Thank you for taking the time to complete survey.
We appreciate your feedback and, as always, we are aiming for that 5-star rating!
I cannot believe it is already November; time flies when you are having fun!
Math: We have started learning a new standard about nonnumeric and numeric patterns. We will learn about patterns for the next couple of weeks.
Science: We will finish the unit on ecosystems Friday! The kids really enjoyed learning about decomposers, producers, consumers, and habitats!
Social Studies: We will begin learning New Nation and Constitution next week. We will study New Nation and Constitution for several weeks!
Reminder: NO SCHOOL – Tuesday November 6th – Election day
NO SCHOOL – Monday November 19th – Friday November 23rd – Thanksgiving Holidays
Thank you so much for all your help and support!
Johanna purchased “pie teacher in the face” for $250 starbucks!
I look forward to meeting with you this week! It is amazing to me that it is already the 2nd quarter!
A few classroom needs:
- old board games: Chutes and Ladders, candy land, sorry, etc
- 10 Fidget Spinners – for a game
- 2 Fly Swatters – Dollar tree are fine
- Deck of cards
Thank you parents for all you do!
Just a few things from Mrs. Sherman’s Math and science:
• On Friday August 17th students will be bringing home their Science book with a study guide for our first Science unit. Please help them study for their test on Tuesday August 21st
• Math class work “Independent Practice”: I try hard to grade class work every night and return it to them the very next day. If your student earned an F I will write “Fix & return” at the top. Please help your student fix any errors and return it to me ASAP for a better grade.
• Our first math quiz was sent home recently. This quiz was given to see how the students were doing with the review unit from 3rd grade.
• Parents and students may log into our Math book from home:
1) Students will click on the McGraw Hill link you provide via your blog, website, etc. (you will copy and paste this from Teach – See screen shot below).
2) They will be prompted to login.
3) They can login one of two ways:
a. Office 365 login: If the student does not know their Office 365 email address, have them login to StudentVue to access it, or a parent can access it through ParentVue and help their child with it.
b. Student ID: They would need to include SCH/ in front of their student ID as their username and then their school computer password (i.e. SCH/1234567 and then password used to login to the computer at school).
4) If you have any questions, please contact Kelly Brown, Kelly.firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Homework for Math
This is an awesome website; students practice math facts and it will take them about 5 minutes a night. They are allowed to log in more than once a day. Students will need:
• My email: email@example.com
• Name: Their first name
• Birth date: their birth month and date (ex. July 23 = 0723)
o Fixing Independent practice papers
o Other than fixing papers & xtramath.org I will rarely send home Math homework.
• If you ever have questions please email me or send me a message through Remind.
Thank you so much for your help and support!
Nicholson Star Parents,
Nicholson 101 will be this Thursday evening 8/9/18. Grades Pre-K through 2nd will meet between 5:30-6:10 in your classrooms, then there will be a short PTA meeting where they will be providing a cold treat to our stars in the cafeteria, then grades 3-5 will meet between 6:45-7:30 in your classrooms.
There will be a short community forum prior to Nicholson 101, at 5-5:30 which will be an opportunity for you to pick up information and ask questions about gifted services. The meeting will be in room #267 which is the current TARGET classroom
See you then!
It was so wonderful to meet all of you this morning! I am so excited about this year, getting to know your students, teaching them and learning with them. A few reminders:
- Any dismissal changes NEED to be in writing & singed. We can not take changes my student mouth, over the phone, etc. You can send a note in your students agenda or a piece of paper.
- Pease make sure to fill out ALL forms and return them to the school ASAP!
Thank you parents!
I am so excited for the beginning of a new school year, a new classroom, and new friends! As each day of summer goes by filled with swimming, vacations and fun; 4th grade creeps closer. I would really like to welcome you to 4th grade! I am so excited to be a part of the Nicholson Team and cannot wait to meet all of you! We are going to have a super time in my class for the 2018-2019 school year!
If your child is in my class this year please sign up to “Remind” remind.com/join/cah272 ! Remind is a great tool that will help us communicate through out the year. It is just like texting, easy and will help us keep in touch this year!
If you are in my class next year, please subscribe to this blog. I communicate assignments and important information. By subscribing you will get an email when the blog has been updated. This will allow you to stay on top of things as we proceed through the year together.
Here are a few suggestions if you would like to purchase anything extra for the classroom. All donations are always appreciated and used by all students.
Colored copy paper (any color)
Thick Masking Tape
Hard candy (Jolly Ranchers, Mints, tootsie rolls, small chocolates, etc.)
I am already excited about next year!
Countdown till Summer
- Day 8 (Monday): write an acrostic poem in class on how to survive 4th grade
- Day 7 (Tuesday) : Twin day; student will dress as twins/ triplets with a friend
- May 22nd: Early Release
- May 23rd: Early Release – Last Day of School
- We are in need of a couple more snacks for the movie on the 23rd
We will be finishing the unit on Civil War and have a test on Wednesday the 16th
Our last vocabulary list: astronaut, gravity, technology, resistance, nozzle, space station, training, orbit, cosmonaut
We will writing letters to our 5th grade teachers for next year; writing our strengths, weaknesses, our goals, and what we want in our teacher.
Our last spelling list: inhale, exhale, cheery, gloomy, inside, outside, huge, tiny, full, empty, walk, stroll, tasty, delicious, grin, beam, friendly, kind