Unit 3 Plan
Great Empires of the World
SSWH4:Analyze impact of the Byzantine and Mongol empires.
- Describe the relationship between the Roman and Byzantine Empires, include: the importance of Justinian and Empress Theodora.
- Analyze the impact Byzantium had on Kiev, Moscow, and the Russian Empire.
- Explain the Great Schism (East-West Schism) of 1054 CE/AD.
- Explain the decline of Byzantium and the impact of the fall of Constantinople in 1453 CE/AD.
- Describe the impact of the Mongols on Russia, China, and the Middle East, include: the role of Chinggis (Genghis) Khan in developing the Mongol Empire.
SSWH5:Examine the political, economic, and cultural interactions within the Medieval Mediterranean World between 600 CE/AD and 1300 CE/AD.
- Analyze the origins of Islam and the growth of the Islamic Empire.
- Understand the reasons for the split between Sunni and Shi’a Muslims.
- Assess the economic impact of Muslim trade routes to India, China, Europe and Africa.
- Identify the contributions of Islamic scholars in science, math, and geography
- Analyze the relationship between Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.
SSWH6:Describe the diverse characteristics of early African societies before 1500 CE/AD.
- Describe the development and decline of the Sudanic kingdoms (Ghana, Mali, Songhai); include the roles of Sundiata, and the pilgrimage of Mansa Musa to Mecca.
- Describe the trading networks and distribution of resources by examining trans-Saharan trade in gold, salt, and slaves; include the Swahili trading cities.
- Understand the blending of traditional African beliefs with new ideas from Islam and Christianity and their impact on early African societies.
Thursday 2/6 LG–Byzantine Empire Context
TEXT: pp. 348-356
-Timeline notes plus chart
-Map of Byzantine Empire
Friday 2/7 LG—Constantinople’s Role in the Byzantine World
-Constantinople Monuments Activity
-Finish any work needed
Monday 2/10 LG—Russia emerges
TEXT: pp. 357-365
-Russia Mongols Notes
-Read information for Mongol DBQ/Discussion
Tuesday 2/11 LG—The Mongols Invade
TEXT: pp. 320-329
-Barbarians: The Mongols Video plus questions
Wednesday 2/12 LG—Origins of Islam
TEXT: pp. 268-283
-Reading Quiz over Pages 293-305, 320-329, 348-365
-Islamic Stations Activity
Thursday 2/13 LG—Islamic Empires and Divisions
TEXT: pp. 284-305
-Sunni Shia Split Activity
Friday 2/14 LG—The North Africa Kingdoms
TEXT: pp. 432-449
-Early African Societies Activity & Map
-Africa: A History Denied
Monday 2/24 LG—Early African Kingdoms and Review
TEXT: pp. 450-479
-Africa: A History Denied
-Inside Mecca: National Geo Video
-Catchup day/ Review
-Test Unit 3