In this unit students will:
- Represent and manipulate data using matrices.
- Define the order of a matrix as the number of rows by the number of columns.
- Add and subtract matrices and know these operations are possible only when the dimensions are equal.
- Recognize that matrix addition and subtraction are commutative.
- Multiply matrices by a scalar and understand the distributive and associative properties apply to matrices.
- Multiply matrices and know when the operation is defined.
- Recognize that matrix multiplication is not commutative.
- Understand and apply the properties of a zero matrix.
- Understand and apply the properties of an identity matrix.
- Find the determinant of a square matrix and understand that it is a nonzero value if and only if the matrix has an inverse.
- Use 2 X 2 matrices as transformations of a plane and determine the area of the plane using the determinant
- Write a system of linear equations as a matrix equation and use the inverse of the coefficient matrix to solve the system.
- Sample prerequisite skills: https://cobbteachingandlearningsystem.cobbk12.org/GetFile.aspx?f=ac599628-109d-43d3-931b-0dfc45c90196&t=v
- Sample Unit test: https://cobbteachingandlearningsystem.cobbk12.org/GetFile.aspx?f=d8a4d6ba-8481-48d1-be60-a82390abdadb&t=v